Run into with the post office

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DK lawn care, Mar 24, 2008.

1. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

So far i past out 600 flyers on saturday. I passed em out right after everyone got their mail for the day. So on monday i got a call from the mail department tellin me that i need to stop passin out flyers or else ill be charged. They said if u want to continue, pay postage. How much is postage? Ive never had this happen to me before as i have been passin out flyers for a couple of years. Do any of the people on here kno of a way that i could pass em out cheaper? Im trying to keep this as cheap as possible as i am saving for a bagger for the exmark. BTW, the total amount i am goin for is 1,500 to 2,000 flyers passed out.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

are you putting them inside the box?

3. DK lawn care

Ya i am putting them inside the box. Is that bad? Because i have always done that and never had a problem until this lawn season.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ummm, yeah, it's against the LAW (federal) to put anything in or on a mailbox that dosn't have the proper postage on it.

That sux you wasted that much time stuffing flyers into mailboxes... You have to put fliers.cards, whatever on the door of the house.

5. P.Services

heck no you cant put them in the box, you will get slapped with a nice fine if you do that!!! put them in the paper box or on the door.

6. DK lawn care

How much is postal and how do you guys do it?

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You ever buy stamps??? Last time I checked it's 42 cents each.

yes, you can get cheaper if you are sending in bulk, but there's a lot of regulations you have to follow to qualify for mailing at less than the first class rate. If you have post-cards and they aren't too big you may be able to use post card stamps which are less, not sure the price though.

8. DK lawn care

Ive never bought post stamps before.

The message that the "post office left" didnt leave a city name or anything. It called restricted and they didnt even leave a name of the caller. One neighborhood that i passed out to had almost every house cut by a LCO company (small neighborhood but big houses). What if it was a competetor callin?

9. P.Services

if you have some one mark and mail them its about 23 cents plus the cost of the flier. just put them on the door.

10. DK lawn care

ok, thanks for the help of the ppl who posted so far