Run or gear speed down hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsf343, May 12, 2006.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious for those with scag or exmark if you have to go down a hill does either one stay at gear speed or do they "run?" (along with you):laugh: I am talking about w/b 's, Hopefully this question is understood.

2. wouldy12

wouldy12 LawnSite Member
    from MA

I think I understand your question. I can only comment on a Scag belt drive. It will "coast" down a hill meaning the engine will not slow it down. It does have brakes so you can just use them to control the speed down a hill.

Steve

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

thank you for your response.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Sometimes and most of the time those pistol brake is not helping much if you have long and large slope...that is why "runaway" is always best friend of belt wb.

5. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I know that this happens with belt drive machines.

However, I have a Scag hydro w/b and I notice that it does seem to take off when going down hill. Is there an adjustment that has to be made by me? I thought hydro's wouldn't do that. I thought the speed would be constant at all times, whether going up or down hills.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

How bad? I also thought the hydros dont do that.

7. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

My Ferris hyro w/b will gain slight speed going down hills. It will also lose slight speed going up hills. Not a big deal, and it will only speed up so much. Not near as bad as my partners scag belt drive. I've got a lot of hilly properties here in southeast TN, and I wouldn't want to use the belt drive every day.

8. Mr Ricochet

Mr Ricochet LawnSite Member

Do you have a belt or a hydro? I have a belt and I just put it in 1st gear and go down the hill on an angle braking as I go and never have a problem with run away. I know that it screws up the pattern but, make sure you go down on an angle. Don't go straight down.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark hydro does the same the key is to done one of 2 options just let it go like hell and follow it or slow it way down prior to the steep incline and just let it creep down. If you go in the middle it just tears up turf.