Run over sprinkler heads with ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mid Rivers, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

One of the yards I take care of has sprinkler heads that protrude from the ground between 1 and 2 inches. I always make sure that the tires on my ZTR (60in Lazer) go around them. Do I need to worry about going directly over them. For that matter what about the others that do not stick up at all. Will I damage them by going over them? I did a search on sprinklers and didn't see this question, if I missed it sorry.

Thanks

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if they are sticking up you will gettum at sum point.
    the probably have funny pipe which is suppose to save them
    but sometimes fails to do so . not too hard to fix. later on

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If they are down, no problem. I run over them in the down position all the time. Never had 1 problem.

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

since i also do irrigation, I have had to fix a few. not all heads are on dummy pipe, and even then there is no guarantee. be careful. dave

5. You will need 1 sprinkler shovel (narrow), 2 toro funny els and several inches of funny pipe for each retro fit on sprinkler heads you mulch mow. Wow, sounds like bad install. 2 inches above surface. Unless they are poping up because of tree roots or ground settling. You could have extra contract work for yourself in retrofitting extruding heads. Depending on soil type/location (root cutting) you will spend a minumum of 15 minutes per head to properly reset so as not to mow over.

If you are running directly on top of them w several hundred pounds of ztr AND they don't have the funny pipe setup, the writing is on the wall. Esp. if they are using 220 pvc for the laterals (rule of thumb), instead of schedule 40. Go to http://www.jessstryker.com for lots of help.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, P.Y.S.