1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Run them till the wheels fall off or trade in every 2 years?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Aug 15, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

With so many different scenarios & so many of us, It works out well for people like me (decent mechanic) to run my mowers till the wheels fall off & patch em up & run them some more. My stuff isnt junk (matter of fact, just purchased new 48"wb hydro), but my oldest mower is about 8 years & I keep runnin her most every day.
    Now some people find it better (mechanicaly and/or tax break motivated) to trade in their equipment more often as it benefits them better in their situation.
    How long do you run your equipment before its time to get rid of it?
  2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I runs mine until it's no need for it then it goes too the highest bidder.
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Run them until their junk, then sell them for parts. I had a Scag WB one time that I ran until the engine gave out. I put a new engine on and ran it 4 more years until that engine quit then finally sold it for parts. That mower paid for itself many times over.
  4. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

Run'em till they're junk. The more hours you put on one, the money it makes you.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Run them until it is no longer econmically responsible to fix them.

I think one of my Scags has over 3k hours....
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Run until junk? Nope, nada, no f***ing way.

I worked for Hertz for 14 years. They have the best PM program you can imagaine and that is one of the reasons they are still #1. My machines are changed out at certain hours or certain years no matter what. And I have been doing this for 10 years now full time...downtime to me is just that...no $$$.

Do the math I say. Period
  7. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running my stuff till it either gets stolen, or dies of natural causes. It has worked well for me cuz my stuff all seems to last forever.

But, methinks I'm gonna start replacing stuff every 2 yrs...or mebbe every year. I'm not lookin' at numbers here...but, at overall job enjoyment/satisfaction.

I enjoy having new equipment. That new blower...or trimmer, or mower...can sure make the day more fun to show up to. I love the feeling of "can't wait to use that new trimmer..." When I replace something, I sometimes feel..."why didn't I do this earlier?"

New equipment is fun, usually works good, and makes the job that much nicer to do. The actual numbers may not work out as well as keeping a mower 'till your grandchildren take over...but, who knows, it may not be all that bad...given down time, repair costs, etc of older equipment.

Actually, at this point, I don't think I care which has the better cost/benefit ratio. New equipment makes my job more enjoyable and fun. These days, I think that's more important...at least for me.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in my 3rd year of business, 2nd season with a w/b. I'm thinking for next year to buy another machine, and make it my main mower. Keep the current one as a backup. I guess I tend to favor periodic replacement of equipment. I hate downtime, and hate that vague feeling you get when you know something could happen to your equipment at any time...
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say somewhere inbetween junk, and evry few years...I hate to throw any thing away unless it's so junky that it is a liability..

That said, as long as it makes me more than it costs in downtime, I'll keep running it. Unless it's a case like the new Redmax Mega Blower... I NEEED that thing...LOL
  10. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

If there is one thing you can get a consensus on in this forum...everyone here NEEDS that new Redmax Blower! Heck, I've been to my dealer 3 times in the last month asking when they getting one in...

It even has a waist belt to keep it from blowing off your back! Thats just ridiculous.