Run till the wheels fall off or trade in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pasto_guy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

How often do you guys trade in or sell off your ztr's. I don't know if it is better to run them till they're done for or trade them in and buy new ones every couple of years. What are you guys doing and why. Thanks

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you have backup,if you have a load of grass to cut weekly,i would sell 2 to 3 years keep a warranty.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run JD tractors, and run them till the wheels fall off. They are still worth a bit on trade in. Trading the first 1 to 3 years, and especially the first year just costs a bundle. The Tractors I run are built tough, and give me very minimal problems. I have had things in the shop very seldom, an in fact most of the shop time is on the new vehicle to get the bugs worked out under warranty. After a couple of years, they just run forever.

4. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

The reason I ask is because we use toro z's. All three of the mowers have over 2500 hours on them. They still run good but they are in the shop for minor things a lot. Bent push rod, electrical wiring. Nothing major but didn't know how much more I can get on them. All the motors are Kohler 25's and I think that they are great. Like I said, (Knock on Wood), no major problems. For the last two years I have been saying, If they can finish out the season then I'll be happy. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

5. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

YEAH i would say trade them in before anything major does happen and also stick to toro lol Seriously would you get more toros or switch to another brand my way of lookin at it if you have 2500 hours on it it must be a damn good mower

6. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If they are in good shape, run em till they blow and repower.

Engines and hydros are the most expensive to replace/repair, however I think I'd rather fix em or maintain them rather than have a payment.

a new engine would probably only be $1500 or so.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

When my current Z needs a new engine, I will likely have it installed and then buy a new Z, keepging the older one as a backup or when we get behind schedule on mowing. I'll let the grunt workers run the older mower as they are too often careless when I ask them to mow.

THe cost of a new engine is rather small considering the amount of revenue it could generate for a few more years.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I woudl not trade in...you will loose on trade-in.
    repower http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200310307&R=200310307

or sell it used out right. there are many people who own a few acres looking for a commercial mower, but not willingto drop 7 or 8 large into a new one. we all know that these machine will get around 3000 hours before they start getting real tired. A classified ad is only 40-50 bucks...buy a new one and keep the best one as a backup.....

Engine swaps are easy enough that I'd do it myself ratehr than taking it to a dealer.....

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

before warranty runs out or 600 hours.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

600 hours....heck I'd be trading just about every year.....when i was mowing full time...