1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Runnin On Grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROCUT1, Nov 6, 2004.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Just read in the newspaper about a couple of resturant owners locally that have converted 2 diesel pick-up to run on used fryer oil....Ive heard of this and have seen vehicles use this before.......

2 questions

Its about $900 for the conversion kit....$2000 installed
    Fryer oil would be free from local resturants....

WOuld you try it?

Second brainstorm......

They make diesel ztrs.....Bout 2 grand more than a gas machine.....

Would it be worth it to convert a diesel ztr to run on fryer grease????

Was just thinking cause I spend about $4500 per month on gas and about $ 1500 on diesel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  2. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

How would this work on a road trip? Pull into MickeyDs and tell the kid at the window you'll empty their grease barrell for a Quarter Pounder with cheese a large order of fries and a Coke?

If you're currently spending $6k per month on fuel is there a possibility of a used grease shortage in Fishkill?
  3. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

A friend of mine is getting ready to try this. He has a diesel generator he is going to use to power his metal shop as well as convert his truck. I'll let you all know how it works.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

filter and strain the grease , pick up the grease , store the excess ( you will have to take it all not what you want) time is money , I would rather just buy fuel , too many people trip over a dollar to save a dime
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, sounds like a real pain and a waste of time. Also, what if the grease isn't pure or processed properly? Sounds like a great way to kill an otherwise healthy engine.
  6. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 LawnSite Member

dont count on getting the grease for free. Most resturants have locks on their grease traps to prevent people from stealing their grease. They have companies that they sell the grease to for a profit.
  7. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Pro, I read the same article and if I had a diesel truck and the $$ to convert it I would. For your business it might be a pain spending the time to get "fuel.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if I would gallavant off and convert a relatively reliable/expensive diesel engine to save some cash. How are you going to get any power out of grease? I'm curious, how exactly does this work?
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Just think, your equipment would smell like french fries and nachos..mmmm.mmm...mmm..LOL..The used waste grease / oil is a big industry with lots of competetion, so I think you'd be hard pressed to obtain the quantities needed to fuel about 2800 gallons worth a month at a good price, let alone transportation, storage , and prep of the grease to use for fuel.... Like Mdirrigation said, "don't trip over a dollar to save a dime"....
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I can remember when we used to get paid 10 cents a gallon for used motor oil and by the time the goverment got done with it that it cost us 10 cents a gallon to dispose of it. The gov will find a tax or a fee to put on it soon if they start to loose $$$ on it lol