Running 36" Mower with one blade??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gilmore.Landscaping, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

So our client is looking to have the edge of her wood chip walkwaking trails cut back so there is more room to walk. The trails slope off on the outside and so I can only use about half the deck to cut with while the other half is over the wood chips sucking them under the deck and doing lots of damage.

Thus my question, can I run the mower with just one of the two blades on the mower or will that cause some kind of imbalance.
  2. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a 21" or trimmer?
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Just use a 21, 30 or 32.
  5. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

So the weeds/grass is like 3' tall and really thick, I think our 21 would struggle and stall out alot.

My backup plan is a trimmer with one of those steel brush cutter blades, but I was hoping to find a faster way since there is like 2500 lin ft.
  6. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say take a blade off and see how it sounds and should be able to tell if everything's ok.
  7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Should be fine. I've ran a mower for a whole pass around the property before with one blade missing as I had forgot to tighten the bolt. Didn't feel any different.
  8. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

just a thought.. most likely dumb one- what about turning the blade up-side down on the side over mulch bed? It could also be raised to highest position if uses spacers. Not sure if curved back lip facing down would stop the suction though.
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

You'll still get downward turbulence blowing the chips around...not to mention that the wing will be spinning around at a lower height than the usual cutting height of the edge.
  10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Just take the 21" and go slow, they don't struggle so long you're taking your time, it's not that big of a deal, won't take but 5 or 10 minutes and done.