Running 36" Mower with one blade??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gilmore.Landscaping, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I agree set it to the highest cut first.

2. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

there is a reason you are supposed to keep your blades together as a set and to keep them balanced.

3. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

5 or 10 minutes to do 2500 running feet of 3' high weeds and grass?

guess I work slow.

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Every minute spent worrying about it is another minute it didn't get done, I would have been done already, 2500 running feet, you make it sound like it's such a big deal, and what if it takes 20 or 30 minutes, I don't think it's going to take you an hour, man I don't worry until it's going to take me hours with a 21" and you could always use the string trimmer (which if you bought one powerful enough is called a brush cutter) too. So it's a pita job, I get it, but it's just not that big of a deal, suck it up and get to it and before you know it that's over and done.

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Rent a walk behind brush mower for $70 and wrap it into your price

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the blade off and get it done. It won't hurt a thing. Each cutter housing is independent so it won't have any effect on the other.

8. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Find a good deal on a spare deck belt an see what happens. Oh ya, maybe a clutch as well.

Just my two cents.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Actually if you did want to run it with just one blade, I believe if you kept it half throttle or at the least throttled down considerably and a ways away from Wot, for a short period of time you should be all right, however... The time and effort spent taking the blade off, and putting it back on...
    Might be the equal of just having used the 21" to begin with.
    Can't say for sure, guess there's but one way to find out.

10. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with herler 100%. if 21" isn't what you want to do then go with one blade at 1/2- 3/4 throttle. I am not a mechanic but don't see any issue in running with one blade. The Only thing I can 'maybe' think of is the spindle 'might' run couple degrees hotter since no blade throwing air around on that side. If at all it would be very minimal I'd think. They don't have cooling fins so must never be a issue. The blade is balanced individually so don't see a balance issue, maybe grass build-up on that side as nothing to throw it out. Go for it.