Running a different style blade on discharge side only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eclipse, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard of a few that run a different style blade on the discharge side only. In fact I think Accelerator recommends this with thier catchers.

Any thoughts to this? I have run double before and all different styles of blades but I have never ran a different style blade on the discharge side only.

I run Ultra Vac on my Lazer's and I thinking to reduce clipping volume I might try a gator blade on the discharge side and two high lift blades on the other spingles.

Thank you for your comments.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

This sounds like it's worth trying a couple of different combinations to see if there is some improvement in cut.

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I run a high lift on discharge side and standard blades on the other 2 spindles seems to really throw the grass . it seems to work for me.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

When I use the ultra vac, I use two gator mulcher blades and on discharge I use the exmark wavy mulch blade to help with the blowout.It might help with the bagger also.

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We run doubles on the discharge side also. Gator over high lift. Helps with clipping dispersion and size.

6. Eclipse

This is also what Peter from accelerator generally recommends when running their bagger. This is a quote from another thread:

"The reason I recommend a high lift next to the bag and not on the other spindles is twofold. First, it takes about 1 extra horsepower to drive a high lift, on average. So on a three blade mower, you draw an extra 2 horse putting high lifts on the center and left spindle. Second, by having a set of normal lift blades on the center and left spindle, with a high lift next to the catcher, you will create a gradient in the air pressure under the deck. In other words, your airflow will accelerate as it moves from the low lift blades into the high lift section, giving better airflow under the deck. As the blades "hand off" the clippings, you want the blade recieving the clippings to be pulling them in, so they move faster as they go towards the catcher opening."

7. Eclipse

Do you notice a difference in quality of cut across the deck running these different style blades?

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

uhh...wouldnt this throw your consistency of cut off? It would be lower on one side!

9. Eclipse

As long as the blade thickness is the same I do not know why it would cut lower.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not notice a difference in quality of cut, this is only when using the ultra vac with leaves. If you don't the blowout is bad