Running A Successful Company

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team Gopher, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

From the book Sam Walton - Made in America. Sam discussed 10 rules for running a successful company.

I will post them all one at a time and hopefully they will inspire you. Please feel free to discuss each rule and how you can apply them to your business.

Rule 1: "COMMIT to your business. Believe in it more than anybody else. I think I overcame every single one of my personal shortcomings by the sheer passion I brought to my work. I don't know if you're born with this kind of passion, or if you can learn it. But I do know you need it. If you love your work, you'll be out there every day trying to do it the best you possibly can, and pretty soon everybody around will catch the passion from you-like a fever."
  2. pokemon

pokemon LawnSite Member

That is a excellent idea I look forward to reading your post heck I will go out and buy the book for my personal ( arsenal ). collection which includes Think and grow rich, How to win friends and influence people, etc. Go for it Gopher

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

The Made in America book is a good one. I have those rules posted at my desk.
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Rule 2: SHARE your profits with all your associates, and treat them as a partner, and together you will all perform beyond your wildest expectations. Remain a corporation and retain control if you like, but behave as a servant leader in a partnership. Encourage your assoiciates to hold a stake in the company. Offer discounted stock, and grant them stock for their retirement. It's the single best thing we ever did.
  5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

So far so good....Keep em coming!
  6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Good points Gopher!

But c'mon, is this the 10 days of Christmas? Why are you making us wait for the rest??? :blob3:

The first one is true, very true. People all around me are saying to me now, after I completed my first year. "I didn't think you would stick with it, I thought you would just give up after a week, but you are really into it."

I feel a great sense of pride in my company, and I really feel it comes out when I talk to people.

Where's 3-10 Gopher!!! :cool2:
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad they aren't his points and he is plagerizing a copyrighted work.

Go buy the book yourself. I am sure there is more to it than just the 10 points.
  8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Scraper,
    good to see you are in the holiday spirit.
    Gopher never said they were his, he is just sharing them, and noted where they are from in his post. Not sure who gave you coal for Christmas, but Gopher is a good help here on the site, so lighten up.

Is Who-ville located somewhere near SE Pennsylvania???
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you know that I am not Jewish? Stick that in your cap Santa.
  10. DirtTwist

DirtTwist LawnSite Member

Harrison Ford is a quarter Jew...not to shabby. Statistics show that 92% of Scrapers posts are negative. That is copyrighted by me, so don't go using it unless you cite it. I looked for Made in America today at the bookstore and they didn't have a copy of it, so keep the list comin!