Running braided wire or remote valves?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by johnsonslawnmanagement, Aug 10, 2010.

1. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

We are currently installing irrgation on a 49 acre property. We have completed 13 zones and estimate that there will be 75-80 total zones. We are using Hunter 4 zone Smartvalve Controllers, because we did not have any electrical sources for a standard timer. The property owner now has a shop built and we are preparing to run wire from the valve manifolds back to his shop. Question is: should I run braided wire and branch off to each valve manifold as usual OR are there remote valves out there I can install and run remotely and avoid running all that wire? Average run of
    wire from manifold to shop is 1500' and he isn't to excited about having all that buried out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't believe there is any controller and valve that is utilizing wireless technology yet, if that is what you are asking. You'll need to run wire, but maybe look into a 2-wire system to cut the amount of wire needed.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be looking at two-wire. So far so good, W*M has worked well.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

don't you usually tape the wire to the underside of the pipe for protection?

5. Mike Leary

We taped in the early days, then switched over to wire ties, and a lot of of them.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Imagine 75-80 6-inch round valve boxes......

7. Mike Leary

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

For the cost of that system.. I don't see how in the world you guys couldn't get power to that area from the city

9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Ah, I should have red the entire paragraph first

10. Inspired

Inspired LawnSite Senior Member

Solatrol or Leit?