Running cable

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by mowtime, Feb 8, 2007.

1. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

I have an install that requires me to have to run the cable in the gutter. I particularly do not care to do this, but I have no choice as the driveway is to wide to bore. Are there any precautions or tips you may have on this topic. thank you for your input.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

how wide is this drive you cant bore ? I sub out long bores to a guy with a small ditch witch. He bores it and pulls a conduit back for me then all i gotta do is cut off the excess where i want and pull my wire. See if any irrigation guys near you got a missle if its that far or look into a borzit tool.

Not sure on the code but I would avoid it if I could thats for sure. Sunlight could be a problem.

3. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

The driveway is at least 35' wide @ the transformer, With a narrow foundation bed opening to find with a bore. I have seen a lot of photos with lights mounted on eaves shining on upper parts of some huge houses. The wire had to be pulled through the gutter to access these areas. I understand your point of view, but boring, especially under a curved driveway would seem very expensive.

4. Pro-Scapes

that bore would cost me about 70 and billed to the client. I know some guys do it. Maybe im just more cautious. Hopefully someone will chime in that does it. I have ran wire behind the gutter before but never in the gutter for some downlights.

5. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

we run thru the gutters all the time, its no biggy. but u could go either way.

6. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are talking about the roof drain gutters right? thanks!

7. Pro-Scapes

yes ... he was asking about running a wire up a downspout and thru a gutter to cross the house from what i gathered

8. jbailey52

you know.. I thought about doing that, but I didnt think anyone actually did haha... The case I am thinking about doing it is at a house where they just laid a blacktop driveway, the the cable would only light 2 bullets on the other side of the driveway. There is a trans and many lights on that side of the driveway, but full to capacity and about 80 feet away, actually running cable throught the spouts and to the bullets from the new transformer we are going to be using on the other side of the driveway is closer.. I was even thinking about cuttin a slit where the blacktop meets the sidewalk and putting cable in there, then possibly using some type of sealer or something? Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks!

9. Pro-Scapes

Yeah... bore the driveway and do it right :)

10. jbailey52

I dont know much about boring.. but its 54 feet across, its also a bball court.. its huge