Running double blades - warrenty issues?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 24, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to buy a new walk behind (still!.........) and I was thinking I'd like to get a mulching kit, but now I also want to run double blades. However, I am afraid it might cause warrenty issues with the manufacturer since it miiiiight put extra stress on the PTO, belts, etc. Anyone have any information on this? Thanks.
  2. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I've yet to see this practice (double blades) endorsed by any commercial lawn mower company. If anyone can correct me, well I guess I'll "stand corrected"...:p

Interesting concept I certainly intend to try, anything to get out of double cuts on a back-logged load is worth a try--within reason. I'd be willing to bet it would void any and all warranties, then again it comes down to an issue of honesty. If something were to break or wear out prematurely, would you or wouldn't you tell your dealer?

I've used commercial mowers for a good 17-18 years and the first of "double blades" I've ever heard was here on Lawnsite with the recent postings. I suppose it dates back to before my time but I sincerely doubt any manufacturer anticipates anyone putting more of a load on the equipment they designed than was originally intended.

JMHO, curious to hear what folks who've discussed this with their dealers have to say.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, if anyone could shed some light on this, I too, would appreciate it!
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I run doubles on my 27/60 Hustler Super Z. I have had no issues. I seem to get a better cut, better striping and most importantly better discharge.
  5. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

doubles void the warranty on my exmark. i was mad when the dealer told me that! oh well
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer doesn't have to know. i have been playing with the set up of my Ferris after running doubles for two years straight and i find the doubles definately discharge better and chop up the grass better. i recently tried the gators alone and didn't like the cut. Used high lifs by them selve and the clippings where kinda long. I tried adjusting the blade height under the deck and compensating by adjusting the castors so to keep a 3-3.5inch cutting height and for me nothing beats running doubles.
    If you do run doubles keep an old set of blades handy in case you ever have to service your machine you could throw thos on. If you run doubles the blades will get a mark on them which will give away that you ran doubles.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

At the very least Dixie Chopper, Gravely and probably several other manufacturers make a double blade bracket for their mowers so it is safe to assume that there shouldn't be a problem running them. Despite what sgoalies23's dealer said the use of double blades will not void the warranty on an Exmark. Exmark isn't too keen on the idea but doubles won't affect the warranty as long as the double blades don't cause other damage. This thread specifically discusses Exmark's policy toward double blades: I have used them on and off for going on 4 years now and the spindles are fine on my Dixie. I even still have the original belts on it!
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

DC...Gravely...Honda...Walker...All have OEM Double Blade Set-Ups!

How Would the Dealer know you were running Doubles Anyway?
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Terry's qoute from exmark will support the Idea that if your spindles wear out prematurely and you tell them you were running doubles exmark will not replace them under warranty.(other damage)
    Doubles are not original equipment,put more stresses on the clutch,spindles,belts,motor,etc.
    Can you run doubles?Sure..........It's always a give and take.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard the argument before that the use of doubles puts more stress on the spindles. Can you explain this to me? Since Dixie Chopper uses a greaseable cast iron no-sideload spindle is this why they allow the use of doubles where Exmark discourages the use of doubles with their aluminum no-grease spindle?