1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i know there's been a lot of talk about double blades, i know most of the pros and cons like wear and tear on the engine, belts and spindals. i heard it stripes well, which all my customers like. i understand the bottom blades cut the grass at the base and the top blades multch it into a fine dust like product. i want to know how to install these blades because i'd like to try them our for a day or two. do i just put them on one another or do i space them with washers? any tips will do. thanks guys. and THANK GOD FOR THE RAIN (you from michigan know what i mean) :D
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have two washers, take the top washer off and replace it with a blade in a + pattern , just tighten like normal and powder away!!
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Doubles don't work on all mowers, the deck has to be right and the blade speed has to be right, as well as a few other things possibly, such as engine horsepower and if your clutch or belts slip alittle. I've tried them on a few mowers and not seen any difference but everyone on here raves bout them, one guy with a Bunton I think said they did not work for him either. Hope they work good for you though,
  4. Expert Lawns

i'm confident that my exmark can handle the extra exerstion of double blades. i'm gonna give them a shot. my blades now are held on with a single washer between the bolt and the blade. where do i put the second blade? doesn't it need to be spaced from the bottom blade?
  5. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

I run double blades on both of my units. I take the spacer out because the extra thickness due to having double blades is low enough. Which allows to have mow thread for the bolt to go up into the spindle. Blade speed , faster the better . Your pitch on your deck is very importaint. In my opinion Dixie Chopper has the best mower to stripe with.
    I also have chains that i drag, i made them myself out of log chain. Pretty easy to make.
  6. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

Expert Lawns,

Where in Michigan?
  7. Expert Lawns

i'm from the flint area bow hunter. where is fenwick?
  8. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

North of Ionia. Bout 1 1/2 hours west of Flint.