Running double blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by markindetroit, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I have a couple of questions about running double blades. I have seen several threads pertaining to this, but no one really descibes how they go together. Do you just place the blades 90 degrees to one another and bolt them together, or does something seperate them like a washer? How do the blades keep from spinning around one another if you hit something? Does running double blades cause any problems with added wear on the spindles? Does running doubles cause any problem for the warranty?

Thanks in advance.

2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I'll do my best, cause I can lend some advice and also need some.

I've run them on other mowers, and I just used a right angle square to cross (+) them and tightent the bolt. I've had success (experimenting with setups). However, I just did this on my hustler super z, and when I went to scrape the deck, the blades had come together on two of the three spindles. And get this............the bolt was incredably tight.

I was told by dealer that it did not void warranty. I took imograss's advice and ordered the bobcat blades (hi lift and gators) they are listed as 21" long blades from j-thomas.

I'm trying to figure out what happened.
    Matt

3. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

Good Question

4. markindetroit

from detroit

To me, the only way the blades won't rotate from 90 degrees is if they are slotted or flat on on side when they seat on the spindle shaft. Sort of a mechanical lock. That is why I wrote the question so I can get an understanding of how the blades fit together. Simply placing them flat together, they will spin on each other..perhaps a lock washer between them. Any guidance will be appreciated.

5. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

A lock washer will not help. What you are talking about is like a saddle that will hold blades. That how the first z and walk behinds were made. I feel you need some give or when you hit a object you will damage something. I believe that why hustler went to what all other manufactures use.The only thing i would do if you wanted your doubles to stay at 90 is to set up the top blade with 1\4 inch weld on the side of the blade. Just lightly welded so you dont loose the hardness.Balance the blades.That way your top blade can still give and the lower blade stays at 90. :waving:

6. markindetroit

from detroit

Thanks for giving me an idea. My father is a tool maker so I think I will have him fabricate a thin plate with a hole in the center for the shaft to fit through , having it slightly wider then the width of the blades and have him place the blades 90 degrees to one another and then bend the plate on either side of the bladeto allow it to sit onto the plate without locking the blade in so the blade can be changed. This jig will hold both blades in proper relation to one another and not affect the balance so long as ever side is even. Thanks for the input. This will be his winter project for me.
    I just thought this would be available somewhere already. I'm surprised Hustler doesn't sell something like this.

7. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

As in weld them together or add a bead so they can't rotate?

8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

No dont weld the blades together. Set the blades at 90 degrees cut 2 pieces of 1/4 keystock on each side of the blades upper blade. Tack the keystock not the blade onto the upper blade. Now you have created a saddle.Ok? :rolleyes:

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

For some reason you just don’t seem to be listening, or for that matter, don’t have a lot of common sense.
    First, it makes no difference if the blades are at 90 degrees or 20 degrees +/- either side of 90. Second, allowing them to spin when they hit something is just a “common sense” safety factor, which you seem not to understand. Furthermore, it takes an awfully big whack to move the blades.
    So third, the above information is why Hustler doesn’t make such an item. Hope this helps.

10. markindetroit

from detroit

This is to DOCPETE:
    Apparently since you are THE expert, or for that matter, you think you are, only an idiot would say that it doesn't matter if the blade is +\- 20 degress of 90. Even if you connect the blades together, guess what, they are going to spin around the spindle on contact with hitting something hard, just like a single blade will...this is only common sense. Holding the blades at 90 will balance the weight on the spindles and allow for the best cut. Again common sense. But since you seem to be overflowing with it, you already knew this.
    I thought that these message boards were suppose to be about people helping others obtain information...hence the old saying "no question is ever stupid". But then again, only one with common sense would appreciate that saying.
    For me, input from you..well it makes common sense to ignore it.
    Have a nice day!

DLCS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.