Running Doubles (already searched)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mow guy, Apr 15, 2007.

1. mow guy

mow guy LawnSite Member

Ok, first off let me say I have searched this topic and probable read almost every thread there is. I am still undecided. I am debating running doubles, probably a set of gators on top of high lifts, on my new Ferris 3100. It's a 61" with 30hr Kohler. It seems like the Hercules spindles are very strong
    I know there is also the issue of additional engine and belt wear.

My question is does anybody else with a Ferris run doubles? Would like to hear from some other Ferris Rodfather.

Or anybody else's thoughts on the topic. I feel like doubles may help with some of these first time cuts where grass is long and slightly wet.

2. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a question about doubles. On the Toro z's when I try to run doubles I can't because of the "saddle" that the blades sit in. I had tried a thick washer and it drops my second blade down but sometimes they turn to were they stacked one on top of the other.
  3. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i would never run doubles.
    maybe if i could get double sized belts/clutch/heaver duty spindles.

1 sharp high lift on each spindle.

for me mulch blades just help the grass clump up more.
  4. mow guy

mow guy LawnSite Member

Thanks. Anybody else?
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Bunton and Exmark guy here. But I would not run gators over high lifts. Run them over medium lifts, that's all you'll need and it will strain everything a LOT less.
  6. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have run doubles for years now and have had no problems. I run them on my Toro's. You do have to use a washer to hold the bottom blade out of the saddle, then use a long handled wrench to crank them down. They will move some but if you put them on tight they won't move much. I just haven't had to replace any clutches yet. I have replaced belts but to be able to mow in the rain and not clump is worth a belt every 200 hours.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I just use a standard double cut, go over most everything twice and it's done (considerably reduces that streaking problem, it's not just the machine, no offense but Lco's streak too lol). That, or go slow, and I hate slow, hate it.

I know, it still baffles me that these commercial machines can't seem to cut worth a crap, but it's either go real slow or double cut, I guess in that sense running doubles might have a benefit, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I don't think it really matters whether high lift then gators or the other way, but the one thing I learned is you try one method for a day, then switch to the other method for the next day, and compare results. Do bring tools along just in case you need to swap, should one method prove a disaster, and make sure they're not too tight :)
  8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

There are blades that work better than doubles do.
  9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you're not referring to your piece of c--p blades!
  10. F.O.S.

F.O.S. LawnSite Member

I ran doubles on my ferris before I got rid of it. I ran high lifts over high lifts. This helped the mower have much more suction and air flow which in my opinion is what the ferris needs to improve its cut. Belt replacement was about every 300hrs and I did have to readjust the clutch/brake at around 600 hrs. Simple procedure to do, all you need is a set of feeler gauges. I would say go for it if you are having concerns with the quality of cut.