1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running Doubles and Lovin Life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tynash, Jul 16, 2005.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I have been reading about the double blade idea for a few weeks on this site and I decided I would try it. I have an Exmark 23 Kaw Lazer Z HP 52 inch with double high lift blades. Since installing them, I have noticed:

Beter cut
    Not having to run over twice to spread clippings, even in thick tall grass.
    The clippings fan out better but also blow out another couple feet.
    I am going try high lift and Gators on my 48 inch lazer and see how that works.

Just wanted to let you all know that I have had sucess with this set up.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Double the Blades.... Double the Performance...I Have Double eXcalibur Mulchers on All my Micro Mulch Equipped eXmarks....Turns Grass into a Fine Green Powdery Substance....They Should be OEM w/the Kit.
  3. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

When we tried doubles on our 23Kawi Stander, the spindles struggled at first to start up and that was the end of that idea. Glad to see it's working out for you!

-Mark Wood
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I run doubles all the time with my standers. They really do cut better. The start up is a little harder. But once it gets going (10 seconds) they work just fine.
  5. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I've been reading that a lot of guys like running doubles. I'd like to try it.
    I have an old Ferris 36" HydroWalk with a 13HP Kaw. Do you think it would be too much of a load. I forgot, it also drags my 200LB butt around on a sulky.
  6. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

You will never know until you try. I did notice that it takes a little longer for the blades to get up to speed. Not much though.
  7. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I just don't want to over tax my tired old engine.
  8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

this is so funny.....

i have been reading for awhile about double, and just installed gators over high lifts a week ago. I was also going to start a thread listing my experience...and i have a 44" lazer HP...

anyway, i noticed the better (smaller) clippings. Other than that, i still dont see stripes. Blowing the grass off the cement is better/easier. i think the cut is a LITTLE better...but hard to tell.

I am amazed that the doubles do not create too much turbulance to disrupt the grass and causing it to miss grass without it being cut.

all i got to say is...."I can't wait for the leaf season when i will put gators over gators and start chewing up leaves"...

i was considering meg-mo's, but i think i will be just fine. :blob3:
  9. knoma

knoma LawnSite Member

Forgive a newbies question, but when you are running these "double" blades" are they regular gators or hi-lifts just stacked on each other or are their special manufactured doubles? if they are just stacked do you need an adaptor of some type to keep them in a 90 degree angle from each other?
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I hate doubles. I ran them last year, caused way to much blowout. however I could get more grass in the bagger, but still not worth it, way to much blowout for my tastes.