running doubles...minus one........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Nov 5, 2006.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

has anyone done this?

for a three spindle system, has anyone run doubles on the interior two spindles and a single foil blade or gator blade on the discharge side?

my point is that the mulching needed with downed leaves would mulch better with less discharge on the deck opening side.

I know, I know...I need a dedicated mulch kit for true mulching but that is overkill.

I am thinking two doubles with a single outside would make a little less discharge and a little better mulching.

GEO :)

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i think all that would do is let the leaves escape the deck without as much contact with a cutting surface. You have to remember ever single leaf that exits the deck passes over that last spindle blade set. I think running three blades on that spindle would be better than running one.

Has anyone ever run three? Thats excessive.

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got 5 washers and a blade on my spindles. I wonder if I can run 6 blades on each spindle. 18 blades.....Yeah....thats the ticket.... Heck, nothing could get between the blades unless it was very very tiny. Im sure I would lose a little power in the engine....but it might be worth a try.
    :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :rolleyes:

4. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest experimenting, I've done what Geo's talking about but found that double gators in the center and single high-lifts on the outside works for me. Running a Scag Tiger Cub, 48" 20hp.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Try reversing the pitch of the deck. 1/4 higher in the front double gaters blades works extremly well.

The theory is that you suck in and chop up the leaves before the blades hit the grass. Last cut after the leaves are down reverse the deck back and use a standard set of blades. Beatiful lawn ready for winter