running doubles over a river gravel landscape bed.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Sep 24, 2006.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

folks--this is something I no longer recommend! :cry:

I have a lawn where they have the gravel bed and no border edging between the bed and the lawn.

dozens of times I have mowed around this bed with no problemos but recently...I did a bad thing. I got too close.

it was obviously operator error getting too close... :nono: but when those doubles sucked up that gravel, I had heck to pay for a few seconds.

not surprisingly, gravel pieces and shards shot everywhere and it sounded horrible.

and the blades were devastated...as was I. I had just sharpened them....:cry:

GEO :hammerhead:

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you mean Geo,
    I made the mistake of getting too close to that damn light weight Lava rock, sent that crap everywhere. I hate it and the people around this area seem to like it. I guess it must be cheap.
    At least nobody was near by to be on the recieving end.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Count your blessings you didn't blow out a couple of windows there GEO...btw, have ya checked?

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

uhhhh...I haven't heard yet. I finished and loaded up real quick...nothing like a timely departure!

GEO :waving:

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL. I bet you find out real quick if you did.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the up side. The inside of the deck should be real clean and the new blades you buy will really cut some grass.
    I have done the same thing. It ALWAYS happens with new or freshly sharpened blades.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

That is unfortunate...........I have not done that but I have gotten too close to a newspaper lying on the driveway. Sucked that up and has 1 million shreds in the lawn......That really sucked..... I cleaned it up with the accelerator bagger and got 90% of it with the mower.......

:)