running doubles????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken0564, Mar 25, 2005.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

Have read here and there about some running doubles. I've never done this, can someone share pros/cons? Seems to me it may work on your spindles/drive belt. If I decide to try, do I just bolt em up with same or need longer bolt/spacer??Just need specifics. Have 44" Exmarks, decks are closed w/mulch kits.

2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on what setup your going to do you will get different results..
    I run a set of highlifts then gators ontop when bagging in the spring bags it tighter and cleans the lawns better.
    Umm but in my experiance running doubles on a exmark mulching isn't that good. U'll get alot of blowout and it will actually clump worse... I use a set of gators now... and as long as I keep the machine moving no clumps are left even in very thick grass... But on thin grass the blowout causes some of the grass to be laid over... requiring a double cut (this really pisses me off)

3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

do a search alot of info on this ,but this is what i think.
    i tried them didn't like them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well after all i read , i decided to try double blades . put them on an exmark hp 23hp 52inch deck with mulch kit . conclusion take them off
    1) didn't see any improvement on lawns cut, over singles blades
    2) power was way down ,even when cutting at higher height
    3) with engine rpm down, steering was sluggish ,due to hydro speed slower
    4) with everything running slower ,top speed of mower down
    5) blow out from front of deck ,oh my god the blowout
    6) gas consumption way up ,cut 20 lawns in two days at least 3gals of gas
    i tried 3 different blade types and combinations,changing what blade was on top or bottom ect only slight change , this mower only has 350 on it ,so everything is in good shape ,plugs and air filter are new . most lawns were a little on the damp side with a good amount of spring growth ,but hay this florida, in the summer it would be even worse.