Running Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Jul 30, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Did you know that Dixie Chopper makes a "Dual Blade Adapter" so that you can safely secure 2 blades per spindle? Does anyone have one of these adapters? If so, what do you think of it? It looks like it would hold the blades better and eliminate any slipping from looking like this:

+

to looking like this:

x

I'm going to try and find out whether it will fit other machines besides Dixie Chopper. Looks like it would be a good investment.

Picture of the "Dual Blade Adapter

DC.jpg

2. Mower63

Mower63 LawnSite Member

We use this setup with one gator blade and one highlift on each spindle. Works great in the summer on thick St Augustine...especially when we have rain delays and after fertilizing when it could be mowed every 4 days.

We have tried the high lift on the top and as the bottom blade with better results when it is on the bottom. We get a lot of compliments on the cutting and use sharp..sharp..sharp blades...change them out every day and if we are cutting more than 5 hours in the day might even change out halfway through cutting...but we monitor the grass to make sure we only change them when the blades start tearing instead of cutting.

I don't see why you could not use this on other mowers but it depends on the spindle bolt diameter.

Interesting effect with the setup is the chopper sounds like a Huey when you run over hard surfaces like driveways...scares the sh** out cats, dogs, people...etc.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using double blades for six years ever since I bumped into Eric Elm here back in 1999. Over the years I have used adapters that I have made myself. When hitting things, the "ears" would eventually wear and break off. I would just make new ones, but recently tried running without any adapter.

Eric did not use an adapter, he just positioned the blades and tightened the bolts. That’s what I’m doing now. If I hit something, like a root, sure the blades will do the scissors thing. I just run it up the ramp and re-position them.

I never use two hi-lift blades – too much lift, engine drag and blowout. Try using a mulcher on the top.

4. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm using doubles on my 21 mowers. Cutting tall fescue, it is important for us to get very good results with mulching. What worked out best was to install high lift on the bottom (grass side) and gator blades on top. I leave the side discharge partially open.

Took a lot of try and error to find the best setting, but this one is working out great for us, even for the folks on a 2 week schedule.

John

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Really you don't need the bracket......

6. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I decided to try doubles. When I put them on, I could only eye them best I could for perpendicular. I tightened them to 70 foot pounds as per my manual. Got lucky and didn't hit any rocks. They didn't change position that I could tell.
    I had an idea for squaring them when installing. Just dado a piece of 2x4 so that you can put it over one blade and but it up against the other. Maybe a clamp could hold it in place while you tighten.
    Or maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

You are......just eyeball it and move on......

8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a set of blades that are recessed to accept another like doubles. I got them at the dealer. If you are not sure what I am talking about I can take a picture. I would have to email them to someone that can download for everyone to view.

9. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Question for those running double blades.

What is a good starting point to separate the double blades or do you run blade to blade with no separation. Our mower has 1/4 inch spacers to adjust blade height. At current setting I could leave up to 3 spacers between the bottom high lift blade and the top gator mulcher blade. Any experience running them either way?

Wayne

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

blade to blade....