Running Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

I've heard guys talk on here about running doubles on their mowers. I was thinking about trying this for leaf cleanups this fall. I was thinking I'd get better suction and shred up the leaves better. My question is how do you do this. Do you just cross 2 blades and bolt them up, or what? Will they stay in place, or do you need some sort of bracket to hold them at 90 deg. angles. Thanks for the help.

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Just bolt them on @ 90 degrees. And realize that if you hit anything, you probably muffed up the pattern (though this doesn't hurt anything... it's just less effective).

As for leaves. Yes, you'll get killer shredding and great bag-packing. But if you use double high lifts, you'll get a lot of blowout under the deck and have to make multiple passes chasing leaves...

I tried double blading and then went back... And then back to double blading. And I'll never look back. I run them all year long. Sooooooo worth it. Really makes a big difference all around.

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Just try it. Bolt it on, try not to hit anything it makes it harder to take off. Its a lot louder though.

4. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it harder on the blade belts or electic pto clutches? More mass, more stress? Just curious. Obviously it can't be good for them.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

I run belt drives. But wear and tear is minimal. It's more than singles, but not enough to create any sort of a financial concern... I might go through an extra $20 a year for belts...

The other factor, depending on mower type, is blade spin-down takes a LOT longer... But again, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe in theory. Its like everything else maybe yes maybe no. Its like when you have the option to use the expensive oil or the cheap oil. You'll get people telling you the never had problems with the expensive and then the people who say the never had problems with the cheap stuff. I would just do it, see what happens. Nothing is going to just blow up

7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Can that be done on a 21" or is it something that should only be done on larger mowers?

8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

So you really think as far as power and blade speed it doesn't make a difference, those freakin' blades are so heavy I'm surprised double the normal weight wouldn't effect the mower that much...I think I might just put them on my w/b with the 23hp my lazer only has 25 it might not work as well.

Anyone run double gators?....must do real nice in the leaves

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the meg mo blades and they stay in place and Knives are free to save them and save the spindles. Run in the same plain not down below the front of deck. Will cut leaves 25 to 30 % better than the doubles with out all the below out.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

It factors in, but not much. Your spin-up time is slightly slower. As for power, my toros are/were at 15hp and my Lesco is only 13hp. Both handle that plus me on the sulky, PLUS my Toro is modified to run 25% faster -- and yet it still cranks through and takes the hills like a champ.