1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sharpcutter, Sep 28, 2003.

1. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

I have only ever run single blade setups.
    When you guys run doubles, is there a special way to keep the blades from slipping from the cross pattern?? Is there a trick to mounting the blades?? Is there a definite advantage to this setup to warant the extra cost of blade and blade maintinance??
  2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

umm i use a air gun to put them on.i hit rocks and other stuff and never seen them move.this setup is good for mowing leaves or very tall grass growth.grass clippings are cut finer.i also found in wet conditions it hardly ever leaves clumps.it does draw a bit of power from the engine and its loud also.
  3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try MEG-MO blades, with MEG-MO blades we don't have to worry about keeping them in line. MEG-MO blades systems has four knives and will get a finer cut of grass than with a double blade. Our knives stay sharper a lot longer also, replacements you only have to buy the knives at $3.95 each, not the whole system.
  4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Make sure you tighten the blade bolt to about 120 ft/lb. The only time I ever had them slipp was playing in some rough stuff behind my neighbors house and I hit a 10 by 14 by 3 aluminum baking pan and it locked the blades up any way. I didn't hurt the blades or the mower but it scared me a little because I never saw it and was looking hard.
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

There's no trick, nothing 'special' you have to do other than putting two blades on instead of one, in + pattern, tighten as usual.
    Do need to check before and after 'doubles' for blade height, doubles will be one blade thickness lower.
  6. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

What is best combination of blades. Will double "Gator Blades" Work best?

Also, I have had trouble in the past using doubles on my Exmark 52" 27 HP. It threw the Mule Drive Belt when engaging or disengaging. I was doing this at low rpm to try to save the clutch but Exmark said if I wanted to run doubles to engage and disengage at high rpm's. They said this would wear out the clutch faster but will keep from throwing the Mule Drive belt.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Double Gator Max
    High Lift over Gator Max

May require some experimentation on your part. Not all machines, grasses, turf conditions react the same.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you have the HP'S, try meg-mo.
  9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Who says??? I know my exmark says for ~75 ftlbs, and thats what i go to on doubles too. Its been said overtightening will ruin your spindles.
  10. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

My Exmark Lazer Z 52" 27 HP Operators manual says to torque to 120 ft/lbs.