1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running doubles ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JRSlawn, May 13, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I Have a 52in lazer z hp with a 23 hp motor on it. Due to all the rain the gras has been really thick and have had lots of problems with clumping. Can someone tell me if these will help and how to mount them.
  2. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I run doubles on a 60" Chopper but it also has a 30 hp engine so there is no problem with power. I run doubles all year long and during times like now if I have clumping problems I raise the deck up one notch and go back over. The pull created by the blades really disperses the grass without actually cutting more. I have to use a special bracket for each spindle that holds the blades at 90 degrees to each other. Don't jury rig this or you could get hurt.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally never noticed that big of a difference when I ran doubles or when I didn't run doubles. I used doubles on and off the last two seasons, but now I don't do it because I feel it isn't worth it in my opinion
  4. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Try a search on doubles and judge for yourself. Personally I love them for rainy days and deep grass.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Double the Blades...Double the Discharge Velocity & Clipping Reduction!
  6. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

I use doubles in the fall to help chop up leaves. But I can tell that they put a strain on my mower engine.:cool: I can not really tell the differance when cutting grass.:(
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've had 2 52" HP's and they never did any better with doubles. The single always did better for me.