Running Engine without Protection....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GaryFenza, Dec 2, 2006.

1. GaryFenza

GaryFenza LawnSite Member

Well im sitting at my house very bored right now and it occurred to me, I wonder how long or efficiantly a Small engine(Lawn Mower or something like that) would acutally run without a Air Filter or Fuel Filter and without changing the Oil(if its a 4 stroke), lol. i would say after the first few uses you would notice a Difference, wat do you guys thinK??? keep me entertained, lol
    :clapping:

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I used an echo 260 all last summer with out the air filter or cover on it in an effort to try and kill it cause I wanted a new trimmer. It didnt work, I still use that one as a back up for this year.....

3. GaryFenza

lol. Did you get a Air filter for it now? or is it still running without one. I imagine nothaving a 4 stroke engine would be worse, considering the amout of clean air they need to run properly. (like a Push Mower)

4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

You've got it backwards. With a two stroke engine, the air/fuel mix travels throughout the entire engine, lubricating the crank and rod bearings and then into the combustion chamber. A trimmer runs in pretty clean air to start with. Now put that same engine on something that kicks up a lot of dust and that's a different story.

5. justanotherlawnguy

Nope, it still is running without an air filter. Even though the trimmer runs in a cleaner environment then say a mower, the whole area around the carb is filthy......

6. GaryFenza

why dont you get a air filter for it, or are you just seeing how long it can last with dust going into the carb, lol

7. justanotherlawnguy

I got a Stihl fs90 earlier in the year, and its my main trimmer now, so I really dont care about the echo anymore. It still fires up and runs great though....After running the new 4 cycle STihl all year, I wish I would have just bought another Echo 260, just thought I would add that.....

8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should be the genie pig for this and never do any maintenance on your equipment and see what happens next year. Let us know.
    J/K . I think a clogged air filter on a W/B would do the most damage, as long as the oil level is maintained, but not changed.

9. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Killin running equipment for no reason?! Your kiddin Right?! does not sound very Businees like too me!

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Ive ran several POS weedeaters and blowers back in the day with badly mixed gas and oftentimes no air fiters. It is hard to kill those little motors. I ran several Ryobi, Homelite, and other brands of homeowner equip. that lasted 10 years before being retired for commercial equip but they still ran. But like said, on the bigger machines such as a dirtbike or quad that throw up alot of dust, the air filter is the most important part. When I was younger, it I never changed my dirtbikes air filter and it cost me several thousand dollars in blown motors to learn my lessons.