1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running hours?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Feb 12, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Ok.......I know some may laugh at this but i need help!!! I have read on the walker page that was given to my brother on his post about equipment costs. It all makes sense but i dont know aabout how long my equipment will last. I only plan on keeping it about 4-5 years then maybe flipping it for new, so do i just figure 4-5 yrs life expectancy or no? I can approximate on the fuel costs maintenance costs and possible engine replacements but im a little unsure on the life expectancy. Can you guys help please!!!!!!!!
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer told me to figure 4 years on the equipment and then get rid of it while still getting a little money for it. There are so many variables to this. Maintenance upkeep, hours of use, who is using it and how, terrain to cut, storage of it, open or enclosed trailer, weather you cut in, should I go on? It's really up to you and how it's taken care of. I know in four years that mine is going to be in better shape than others and vice versa.
  3. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

If you are only going to keep it for 4-5 years just figure out what its worth then and subtract that residual value from the purchase price, figure out the hours used per year to get your operating cost.( Well part of your operating costs)I find the residual value is squat so I keep older equipment for backup.