Running lights wont work on Either trailer why?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newtostone, Jul 12, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Alright so a while ago now my running lights weren't working and i thought it was just on the enclosed trailer well they don't work on my dump trailer as well. anyone have this happen to them and what caused it? all my other lights are working as well as the brakes just not the running lights.

2. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

What year, make and model is the truck? Most have a fuse just for the trailer lights.

3. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 LawnSite Member

The most common problem to have with trailer lighting and just about every other automotive electrical problem is a bad ground. Thats the first thing I would check. Also, especially on trucks that have been in use for a while the wiring to or the connector itself for the trailer wiring can get bad. Make sure theres power to that point. Being it doesnt work on either trailer would mean the problem is on the truck side most likely.

4. newtostone

from NY

Rat thats what i was thinking the truck is a 2003 F350 and i am not good withj wiring at all. i understand that, how do i check for a bad ground? thanks for the help

5. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

If its a bad ground the lights would work and then stop then work and so on, when driving down the road. Also the other lights and brakes would do the same thing.

Look in the book for your Ford. Ford does not mark the fuse box like others do. The fuse is under the hood on the drivers side or under the dash ( you have to pull the pannel under the wheel). The fuse will be bad, just replace it and let us know if it fixed it.

6. Scagman61

Scagman61 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

its not a bad ground b/c like Horsepower said the lights would flicker in and out randomly. check fuses first. then check all the wire connections in the adapter the pigtail hooks into. each wire is connected by a screw most likely is one is either loose or roadsalt has gotten the best of it

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

It is a 10 amp ( yellow) fuse under the hood. Will be in the fuse compartment right in front of the steering wheel. I have to replace mine on an 01 f 350 about once every 2 months. Very common , especialy since I tow a boat and sometimes forget to unplug the lights before backing into water.

8. newtostone

from NY

Ai thanks i am going to check that out and change it tonight and get back to everyone.

9. newtostone

from NY

Ai i don't have my owners manual do you know what fuse number it is?

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

When you find the fuses put a little higher fuses in them. they will last alot longer. Just pop your hood, and pop open the fuse housing. flip it over and it will tell you which ones they are.