1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running mower til it dies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Feb 10, 2004.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

is this okay to do? I finally just got scag running after spraying starter fluid in it. I just put fuel stablizer in the gas and im letting the rest of the gas empty by running it. Is it okay to run it until it finally just dies? oh yea, and thanks guys for giving me alot of information on everything, don't know what I would do without your help.
  2. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I dont understand. You put fuel stabilizer in the gas and now you want to run it till it dies to get rid of the rest of the gas? Are you talking about 2 different things here?
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am a little confused as well.
  4. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

The question is, is it okay to run my mower until it dies? and neccessary if it has fuel stabilzer in it?
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see a problem with running it dry, some manufactures reccommend that. However, I am with Lawnagent and tiedeman, why would you run it dry with fuel stablizer? If you use fuel stabilizer you only need to run it about a minute to let that fuel spread throughout.
  6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry, i was posting the same time you were, no, its not necessary to run it dry with fuel stabilzer.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

But, if you run it dry, be sure you at least have a filter on the intake fuel line coming from the gas tank. Running a unit dry can sometimes help you suck trash out of the fuel tank and booer up the carb. Since it sounds like the unit is well-worn (judging from your comment about finally getting it running), if you do run it dry, it might be a good time to clean the fuel tank as well.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

thats why i woundnt do it, gets dirt in the carb. Because no matter how careful you are crap gets in the tank.
  9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Put the stabilizer in, start up the mower, run it for a minute or two, shut off the gas at the tank, let it die.
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Ken hit it on the nose, add stabil, run a few minutes then close fuel line