Running out of an enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BLC1, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Can you help me the pros and cons of running fert and squirt out of an enclosed trailer.

I am thinking it would be nice to keep the truck free when we are not fertilizing. The weight stays off the truck a little more. Keep everything dry and organized. Nice billboard.

The cons might be harder to get in and out of smaller properties. I would assume unless you had a custom trailer, you wouldnt be able to fork a pallet into the trailer.

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I run out of an open trailer. I want an enclosed one. Too many missed hours of work because "it might rain" or wet roads. I'm probably. Going to custom build one with a pallet door. 16-18 feet long.

3. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I was running through some options in my mind and thought a 14' would be nice. Not too big and not to small.

4. kbrashears

The prob with one that short is that if you are running low on fert or liquid, your weight of the Z is going to be behind the axles. That isn't good. The longer trailer will pull better, it will back easier, and you'll have more operating room.

5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

we have a 16' enclosed that has a skid tank up front...it's nice and all, but i'm not a big fan of trailers in general, have had too many employee mistakes and DOT bullshit to deal with...a truck is much more maneuverable...but you also get very good advertising and protection out of an enclosed...very close call but i would choose truck only

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I run my PG out of my 7x14 enclosed. My trailer is custom with a 48" drop down side ramp - I would not trade that ramp door for anything I use it more than the rear door.
    So, I run my 36" WB out of the trailer, run the PG in its place, and still have room for my 21" pusher and Z turn in the back in case I need to stop by on my route and knock a lawn down. My clear water nurse tank goes in my pickup bed and my fert either goes in the bed OR in the trailer depending on how much fert I am going to carry.

7. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

The thing to watch is the tongue weight if you have a full pallet in the front. We have a couple set up like this and no I wont share pics.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm looking for a box truck. Seems to me this would be the best of both worlds.

9. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

I run a 14' v-nose. Zspray jr in back, water tank in the nose, fert stacked along the side. The weight of the z-spray in the back is offset by the tank in the front. I have a hose as well as a direct connect to the z-spray. Everything works great. Only problem i have is fert bags. If stacked more than 4 high they fall on lefthand turns. I usually put 20 bags in the trailer and if I need extra I put them in the pickup bed. On days where I need a full pallet I just slide it in the pickup bed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. kbrashears

I have no desire to put a pallet of fert in the back of a truck. I want to load the fert in the hopper inside the trailer. I hate climbing up in the truck to get the top bags on a new pallet. I also hate stacking 30-40 bags. It's time consuming. I want to slide a pallet right in, then load it right there.