Running over pine cones!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 25, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that has about 30-35 30ft+ pine trees for a hedge over 2/3 of her back yard. It's a pain in the butt to trim under and inbetween but I may ask permission to use some killsall or something for that, but anyway, the pine cones are getting crazy now and are all over the place around the grass where I use my mower. I have just been running them over, but I can tell it's not as easy as grass. The question I have is though, can these pine cones mess my mower up, or just maybe dull the blade a little. I'm only there once a week and it's my only customer with cones. So far my mower is doing ok. I've just replaced a wheel and a few other small things. The wheel was my own fault.

2. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

They will dull the blades a little. In Florida most of the pine cones I see are bigger than soft balls. I'm not worried about them messing my mower up in fact I like to see how far they shoot out the side. lol

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

And they smell good too!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  4. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, they do at least smell good...lol. Well I guess I'll just figure on a bit of blade wear but that's it then.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We've always just run them over, never noticed any excessive wear and tear on the blades.

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

They are softer then rocks.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You might turn down the rpm's a bit and go a bit slower, so they don't go ricochet off a tree and hit you back in the head LOL I hate that.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I have yet to see damage from them too. I have also never had one shoot out so fast it would bounce and hit me in the head. If your discharge is in place it shouldnt fly that high.

How big is the area ? You should of priced accordingly. My guess is you have a few hundred pine cones on any given visit with that many trees.

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Or bounce off the neighbor's Mustang.:nono: