Running Quickbooks on 2 NON-NETWORKED computers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JimLewis, Sep 3, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a way to run the same Quickbooks file on two separate computers that are NOT networked? And then just merge the two files once in a while???

Trying to figure out how to do that.

2. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

You cannot merge the two files. However, you can "go get" the .qbw file through pcanywhere or gotomypc. Or, you can copy the .qbw file onto a storage media and then paste over on the other computer. Just requires you to remember which one is the latest because you would lose data if you copy an older file onto a newer file.

hope that helps

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it with and without a nework, but as if they where not networked.

1) Copy QB backup file to other computer and open it. When I do this more than once, simply say it is fine to over write the file.

2) I do the same type of thing, but save the file to a firewire enclosed drive and transport the drive. Open the file as usual, save it to the computer drive.
    When saving it, again state that it is fine to overwrite the file.

You can go back and forth this way.

Tim

4. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

There is no way to merge two different sets of data.

one thing I like about quickbooks is that they have an online version. good if you use multiple computers. Stores data on a central server that you can access from any computer...doesnt need the software...runs within your browser. However, this does require and internet connection when ever you want to do your books...2cents

5. JimLewis

An online version??? That would work great! I never knew about that.

6. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

Yeah, I use the online version too. It's the best thing I ever did. I actually have a laptop and printer in my truck, and a blackberry. I plug my blackberry into the laptop, and go right online and print out my invoices for customers right on the spot. The other good thing about QB Online, is that you don't have to worry about upgrades. It's done automatically.

When I go to the office, or my home, I can just sign on online, and check my accounts. I actually printed an invoice for a customer right on their own computer at their office, because I forgot my laptop. The customer couldn't believe it!

7. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I use gotomypc.com

Accountant logs in from any location to do payroll, consolidate bank statements, etc.

Works great for me. I only see my accountant once a quarter.

8. JimLewis

Yah, I think that might be the way to go. The reason I made this post was, like you, I have this laptop in my truck (and a printer, etc.) and I wanted to be able to log into Quickbooks on the go to print out an invoice, bring up a customer's account, find an address, etc.

One question though; can two people be logged into Quickbooks Online at the same time? Because my office manager usually has QB open all day on the desktop back at the office. She usually needs to use it several times each hour. So I'd need the ability to have more than one person logged on at the same time. She may have it open at the office while I have the file open, simultaneously, here in my truck.

9. JimLewis

I have considered gotomypc as well. But I assumed - perhaps I am wrong....please correct me - that if I was accessing files on my PC from my mobile computer that whoever was back in the office using the PC would not be able to access the files at the same time I was doing so. I think there would be a conflict there, wouldn't there?

10. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I am actually not sure of whether you can both be on at the same time or not. my gut tells me yes, but not sure. One thing to note is that with quickbooks online you do NOT have to buy the quickbooks software or any updates...however there is a monthly fee...like 20 bucks or so. Your accountant can just log in from remote location...makes it easy to ask questions and such.

Like you i also have a laptop mounted in my truck...I love it. Have sprint EVDO (mobile broadband) so I can log into quickbooks, google maps, and everything else while on the go. Have it hooked up to a GPS antenna, and also am able to strem internet radio through to my car stereo while on the go...like XM without the subscription fee!

Just got the details from their website:

"Online Edition starts at $19.95/month for basic accounting with as many as three users (plus a free accountant user). The Plus Package includes Online Payroll and all optional features for $39.95/month. "