Running trimmer without guard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 22, 2011.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Several guys here run trimmers with a lot of line out and no trim guard for large area's such as hillsides, ditches, etc. I'm sure it's not the safest method but many of them swear by this method for larger area's that may not be accessible by ZTR, wb, etc.. Your thoughts? Have you or would you use this method?

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

first thing i do when i get a new trimmer is throw the shield in the garbage.

3. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Yea the guard is the first thing to come off when I buy a new trimmer. Just make sure to put it back on if you ever take it to the dealer.

It's one of those things, once you use it off you wonder how or why you ever left the guard on before.

4. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldnt agree with you more man lol. I have one trimmer with a guard on mostly because I dont use it!

5. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

lol goldpro beat me to it.

6. Jamie22

Jamie22 LawnSite Member

Yep i couldnt agree more.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow I was expecting a bunch of negative responses due to safety or liability. Thanks for the input.

8. Jamie22

Jamie22 LawnSite Member

Dont really protect alot or atleast I dont think so...

9. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you run a trimmer with a guard on I find you dont really need safety glasses, however I still wear mine all the time!

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i have never put a guard back on when i have them serviced, In fact no one i know has guards on there trimmers and the dealers never ask why they are off, They dont really care.