1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running two ads, sametime, sameplace?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DynaMow, Feb 17, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Got a big thought in my little head, so I throw it out to you.

I am using local paper to run classified ad. Thinking of running two. One that is the regular ad with company name, office number, portray experience, professional, established company. The other is more like a Just Mow It type, come in basic blow and go, no company name, rings to my cell phone, portray savings. Both ads will be noticeable in their space.

Pros and cons:

Bad - twice the ad money

Good - reach both types of customers, a test to see which ad type generates more calls and creates more revenue.

I can see where I would possibly be receiving some calls for both ads from same people. Quoting against myself.
  2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a good idea....but you would definitely be competing against yourself. What would you tell those customers? I think they might catch on with the same number and all. This would be a better experiment with doorhangers or flyers in my opinion.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking of the same idea. One ad to cell phone, one to business phone. Only proablem is when people call both ads. Gots to figure out what to say to them.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, I was thinking about the same idea.. I have 2 cell phones, 2 seperate numbers. Nothing like getting double the chances of getting calls! Most people simply look and just randomally call a few.

Like mrusk said, it could be a litte touchy when people call both... But if you paper is like most, there's usually 30 to 50 ads for lawn mowing anyway.

Put one under your business name, and the other as something like some I see... "Christian man looking for lawns to mow" or "Responsible young man" It amazes me some of the wierd things I see in ads. What's sad is that people may be more likely to call the self proclaimed Christian over the next guy just because they feel he won't take advantage of them.

LIke I say, I think it's a good idea, that's twice the chance of being called over the others!