1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Runn'n 2 Cycle On 89 Or Higher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOEWOOD, Jun 7, 2005.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Read my Still Manual thoroughly!
    Recommended Octane is 89 or higher, claims Regular will cause excessive Engine Heat etc.

Any views here?...Joe :waving:
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I always run the highest octane in my 2-cycle stuff.....

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

In most states gas companies are allowed to add up to 10% alcohol to the gas without telling you. That's fine for mom's station wagon but not for 2 stroke equipment. You see, oil will not mix with alcohol. I've read stories on this forum and others where a brand new trimmer has "seized" because of this problem. Alcohol blended gases cannot achieve the higher octane ratings so it is safe to assume that "hy-test" gas does not contain any alcohol. All I've ever used in all of my 2 stroke equipment is "hy-test" gas.
  4. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Ran into this on Echo 2cycle stuff. Returned a stick edger under warranty and dealer said "bad gas" . Had to show that I used premium octane gas mix to get repairs covered warranty.
  5. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

89 + octane is very important in all of your hand held equipment especially backpack blowers that have very high compression.

VERY important!

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Been running 87 for years in everything, with no problems
  7. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I run 87 too, but I also use Amsoil 100/1 synthetic mix. Probably helps in the heat department. :waving:
  8. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

100/1? wouldn't that run too rich ?
  9. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

:blob3: Local repair man said he has made a good living on people that dont pay attention to good clean gas . 89 or better. Alway keep it fresh . more oil dont help he said. The amsoil run great in all my trucks and car. :blob3:
  10. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

100/1 is lean.