Rust at welds on 2002 SS

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by 6inline, Apr 2, 2003.

1. 6inline

6inline LawnSite Member

2002 Super Surfer w/52" deck: I have rust coming through the paint at the welds of the frame for the front casters, under the pivots for the deck chains, and on the deck between vertical and horizontal pieces. Machine is stored in garage and is meticulously kept clean!!! The paint is now flaking off at above positions. Power washer has not been used for cleaning--just hand washing. Did Great Dane fail to clean welds prior to coating? Dissappointed Great Dane owner!! My last two John Deere units (455 & 4100)never had rust problems like the SS. At this rate of deterioration the machine is not going to last long enough.

2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I would say those welds weren't prept for painting.

3. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

6inline:

Sorry to hear of the rust/paint situation you experiencing. The paint is a top quality powder cost process. In areas were you having moving parts, the movement and rubbing of the surface can cause the paint to crack and ware. Please take the unit back to the dealer you purchased it from so it can be checkout. If there’s something we can do to help you, we will make every effort. We have always prided ourselves with the finish of our machines.

Thank You

JMJ

4. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Paint is coming off all over the deck and deck lid and I keep it inside 85% of the time. Mine is quite a bit older but I would think the paint peels WAY TOO MUCH for this length of time. Maybe it's a heat issue as well. BTW, mine also rusts at ALL of the deck welds. It's still a great machine if I could just get my cut quality back up to snuff.

5. John Joensen

UGA:

Please take the unit back to the dealer you purchased it from, have the dealer contact their distributor service manager and in return have the distributor service manager contact Steve Ellis at Great Dane and we will review your situation to see what can be done to correct it.

Sorry to hear about this. We will do everything we can to correct it for you.

Thanks for being a Great Dane Customer!

Regards

John Joensen

6. John Joensen

6inline:

See my post to UGA and do the same.

Thank you!

John Joensen

7. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I looked all over mine last night and the main problem I have is the deck lid and since I bought it used I am probably on my own for fixing it but I will ask, never hurts I guess.

8. John Joensen

UGA - please take it to a dealer for review. Whether and purchased it new or used, your still now a GREAT DANE CUSTOMER!!

Thank You!

John Joensen

9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer I go 210 miles to purchase equipment from had a 36" scamper on their lot that was rusting at the welds and he said they all do that but they perform great!
    I would like to once again thank the folks at Great Dane for having a great dealer in Portland Oregon who was willing to send their rep on an overnight trip to demo 2 supersurfers and a scamper for a little one man operation! That shows that at least one dealer cares about the little guy!
    As for the rust problem I just assumed it was a typical Great Dane problem! The dealer said they all do it. I like the Dane supersurfers but I am not sure about the whole JD thing if Great Dane service is anything like my John Deere dealer then I don't want one.

10. John Joensen

6inline:

I posted a responce to your issue many days ago. Please review my reponce and take the machine to your local Great Dane dealer when you get a chance.

Sorry to hear of the rust/paint situation you experiencing. The paint is a top quality powder cost process. In areas were you having moving parts, the movement and rubbing of the surface can cause the paint to crack and ware. Please take the unit back to the dealer you purchased it from so it can be checkout. If there’s something we can do to help you, we will make every effort. We have always prided ourselves with the finish of our machines.

Thank You

JMJ