Rust dust...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 4x4_Hunter, Oct 12, 2005.

1. 4x4_Hunter

4x4_Hunter LawnSite Member

Once again, my lawn has the rust dust in it where when I mow, the whole front of my mower is full of orange dust by the time I finish. Also, you can see the yellowish-orange color in the grass itself. What do I do to correct this problem? Will it cause the lawn to die out in areas? I have been maintaining the grass very consistantly this year because someone last year told me that it is from lack or maintenance and water. I have watered the lawn quite a bit too. I haven't in the past couple weeks but before that I was watering it a lot. Any ideas? I guess if it won't hurt anything, I can deal with the dust but if it will hurt the lawn, I definitely want to so something about it.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldn't hurt the turf. I would just fert to push growth, and mow the rust off...

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Rust is only a minor problem for turf. It slightly reduces the photosynthetic area of the leaf blade. You can get it on irrigated or non-irrigated turf, under high or low fertility. Learn to live with it.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

My personal lawn has it now too. There are no adverse side effects that I see besides an orange mower and orange shoes!!

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member