Rust INSIDE gas tank. How do I remove it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Navig8r, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a used (barely) snowblower, with a metal tank..... the tank was left empty and from condensation, is rusty inside.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on getting rid of this?

BTW.. its an OLD machine, so finding a replacement tank would probably be inmpossible.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I understand it is old, but is there any way to get a different poly tank to work???? Old metal tanks are tough.

3. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Drain fuel

Put in some small stones , shake real good

Use a product called " Kreem "

Get at most motorcycle stores

4. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

A little sand mixed with the stones helps a lot. Just be sure to get it real clean.

5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Can you post a pick of the tank. Maybe we can get a better idea of how to handle the problem. If it sits flat you might be able to have a new stainless steel tank fabbed up at a sheetmetal shop.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Everyone is right on the mark. KenH has the best long term solution. Many of the homeowner brand riding mowers (murry, mtd,yard machine) have a square type poly tank. These are gravity feed so just mount it higher than the carb, install an in-line filter and a vented cap. A lot of these tanks have metal straps that hold them down and you could also use these straps in mounting it on your machine. A small engine repair shop is where I would start.

Lawn tek's Idea sounds good if that kreem stuff puts a poly type coat on the inside of the tank.

The others a good for a short term solution but the rust will be back next season. Make sure to install a quality see thru paper element inline filter so you can see the rust when it reappears.

most of all.....Good Luck.

7. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

You may try taking it to a radiator shop. They cleaned a metal tank for me

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

interesting some of these comments...I would have never thought of the sand idea. I usually just replace the tank if needed

9. thill

thill LawnSite Member

You might want to look at this site. POR-15 is used in the car restoration market as well as marine applications.

They have a products that will clean and stop further rust. They make a gas tank coating that will stop more from forming.

It ain't cheap but it is darn good. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.por15.com/default.asp

Tom

10. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I had to do this to a motorcycle that had been in storage for a long time.

I used 50/50 blend of boric (swimming tool type?) acid and water into the empty tank. Let it sit for an hour or so, then rinsed it out. I had to do this 2 or three times to get the rust etched off the tank but it came clean. You can get the acid at a pool store, I got mine from the guy next door with a pool. But as always, be careful.

Joel