rust on lawns Help!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by justcut33, Jul 18, 2009.

1. justcut33

justcut33 LawnSite Member

need help in Michigan have 60 accounts 80% have rust disease how do I get this taken care of?
    Any suggestions on type of fixes.

2. cclanton2

cclanton2 LawnSite Member

Fore will work. It goes in at 2 water dissovable bags per 90 gallons of water. Or a pinch per gallon in a backpack. It may need a second treatment in 10 to 14 days.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Plenty of fertilizer and water helps. Also get better quality--more disease resistant seed. Ryegrass is especially sensitive--even more so in the first year of new grass.

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Riggle 100%. All the rain we had this spring depleted a lot of the nitrogen leaving lawns ripe for rust this summer. We've had a very cold summer, so I'm going to start my fall app in early August to grow out the rust.

5. justcut33

i spoke with fertilizer company and they said to use triple 19 fertilizer to green it back up, another company told me to use Ringer lawn restore does anyone know if either of these will help, he also said that we would be seeing alot more of it because of the weather we have had and because of our poor economy people are not having their lawns fertilized like they would have in the past, also does anyone know if it can be carried from one lawn to another from my mower since i am seeing it in atleast 80% of my accounts, thanks again for any help

6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Personally for rust, I would not use Ringer Lawn Restore. You need a quicker release, higher nitrogen fertilizer. Problem is its summer and you don't want a lot of growth. Check this link.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-110-W.pdf

LOT depends upon prior fert schedule of affected lawns. And yes, rust can be spread by shoes and equipment. It can also be spread by kids/mailman going from lawn to lawn.

Its an easy disease to deal with (and profitable). Good thing is you usually only need a good shot of fertilizer and within a few weeks it is gone, the lawn is green and your recently fertilized lawn stand out from the others on the block. Take pictures of before and after-ask for references-go door to door with pictures, etc.-great way to increase business. Each rust affected lawn could net you 4 extra customers!

7. justcut33

any particular product that you would recommend to put on the lawns, some of the lawns have turned from the rust color to a brown and looks as though the infected blades have died anyway on getting them back to green the fertilizer guy said Ringer lawn restore would bring it back to green but he did say it would take a few weeks, any particular product you would recommend that would help it green even the brown or dead looking blades, thanks again

8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you are not an applicator. If not, rust on the lawn is not your problem. You certainly cannot apply any type of fungicide without a license and the 19-19-19 is a poor choice for the fertilizer. If these people were cutting back on fertilizer why would they pay you to put it down.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You need the grass to grow--grow fast. Rust causes lawns to look really yellow. Yuck! When the grass gets tall you mow off the infected leaf blades. A high nitrogen product is the best choice. Along with plenty of water. Lesco 24-0-11 would work.

10. justcut33

i am not claiming to try and be a fertilizer applicator nor do i have a license to apply it, what i do know is that i care about my customers and would like to correct an unsightly lawn and direct them to the best product to use to correct it, for what ever reason that people have decided to cut back on getting their lawn fertilized is their choice but it is not fair to them to have a lawn that looks yellow or rusted, i only hoped that someone would have ran into this same problem and could help out, FDLLawnMan i am not looking to take advantage of my customers i am not asking them to pay me to put it down either i had only hoped that someone had this same problem and had used something that worked without having to pay for an expensive fungicide, i do appreciate everyone who can give me any advice on what has worked in the past