rust stain from sprayers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cleancutsolutions, May 24, 2012.

1. cleancutsolutions

cleancutsolutions LawnSite Member

We installed a residential 5 zone irrigation system and used a well pump as the water source. The owner has called to see what we can do because his sprayers are staining whatever they come into contact with a rust color.

We ran a 2" mainline and wonedering if anyone makes a good filter that would filter out iron deposits or whatever else may be causing the red rust stain color.

Thanks.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

test the water for iron content first

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If you've got iron, you prolly have manganese, also. Have them test for that, too; both can play hell.

4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Not to mention lime and calcium; you can try a "rust" injection system. I've installed a number of these systems on residential, commercial and municipal properties. Properly maintained & the correct chemical concentrations will go a long way towards eliminating your problems.

Chemical injection systems are common here for rust & mineral control.

SEMINOL PRODUCTS is a local manufacturer of rust & mineral inhibitors. We use their products and have had excellent results. They are very helpful, call them for recommendations.

5. Mike Leary

Their website is useless. How does that work, timed injection?

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.ridorust.net/

I install dozens of siphon systems each year. Overall, I think it's the best product on the market. Your local irrigation supplier should carry this.

7. Mike Leary

So do you have the water tested for each site, or are you familiar enough in your market to know what the dosage/type of problem is?

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

What are they staining. House, sidewalk, driveway?

9. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Each well gets tested. Iron levels vary from off the chart to miniscule amounts. I test wells every 2 years to to determine if levels have changed from the original sample. Also, I leave the client with a case of formula and write instructions on the container (and tell them) as to the mixing ratio.

10. Mike Leary

Are there spoils that need to go to a sump, or does the "mixture 69" dissolve all the contaminates and shoot it through the system.?