1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rusted Floor Boards

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Farbio, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

I have a 73 f-350 with a dump. I pulled up the rubber that was on the floor and found my floor boards all rusted out. I can see to the ground in a couple spots. I know now that I need to get new weater stripping for the truck.

My Question is what can I do about this? Is there floor board kits you can buy? Cut out old floor board and weld in new floor board? Patch it up?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Throw a rug in there and drive it. If you think you're gonna fall through, just get some pop rivets and steel.
  3. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

go to LMC Truck. They have a catalog for your truck that you can get and the prices are really good.
  4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Cut out all the bad metal and get some sheet metal. Actually the flat metal that you can cut out of an old hood works good. Weld back in with wire feed welder. We do it all the time with older trucks.

Unless you've got a really good exhaust system, the advice ot cover it and drive it is not very good advice. You can get a lot of carbon monoxide in the cab that way, especially if you let it sit and idle.

Austreim Landscaping
  5. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

Thanks Doug. I am definitely going to do something about it. Sheet metal and a wire feed sounds easy enough.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The other option is clean up the steel really good down to bare metal do what ever it takes sanding, sandblasting or paintstripper get it down to clean metal. After thats done if you can do fiberglassing glass up to the lip of the transmission hump up under the pedals to the insulation along the door sill and under the seat. If you glass the whole drivers side that will last longer than the truck all the metal under the fiberglass can rust completely away and the floor will still have some ridgidity.

A guy I know had this done to his 73 and the rest of the truck rusted completey away and the fiberglass stayed he finally had to take the truck off the road.

The problem with welding in new steel is once the cancer has infected the truck it spreads its infection to the new steel using old hoods is a good source of sheet metal. The one thing about fiberglassing is you don't have any worries of burning up your truck you also don't have any worries finding enough sound metal to weld to. I'am surprised you got rust in the floor and the front fenders are still holding on the inside fender liner which is the fender support rusts away before anything else. I have had quite a few old 70s Fords the other problem is the cab mounts rust off and the cab sits on the frame of the truck.

You know it may not be worth dumping alot of money into doing a quick patch job is probably the best.

Good Luck
  7. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I once heard from an old friend that there is nothing better for patching a rusted floorboard than an old stop sign. LOL Just don't tell the DOT or the police i told you that.;) Just thought i'd add some humor to this post.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are worried about carbon monoxide, just use duct tape and plastic to seal it. We are expected to believe that it will work against nuclear, biological, or poison gas attack, so a little carbo mono is nothing. I bet the people who have advised this, however, have a more secure retreat than the "shelter-in-place." As a matter of fact, I'll bet they are already in an "undisclosed secure location" while the gullible citizens stock up on tape and plastic.