Rusting Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Team Landscaping, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a stihl hs 45 hedge trimmer from chappel tractor a week ago, and the blades are already showing rust in small spots. It has been maintained extremely well, and i dont know why this is happening. can anyone tell me?

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you spray anything like wd-40 on it? We usually do.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

yup yup we always give ours a spray with fulidfilm

4. M&M Mowing

M&M Mowing LawnSite Member

Its just slight surface rust, my echo hs150 that is brand new does the same thing. Nothing to be worried about, before and after use I usually spray with some wd 40.

5. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. the guy at chappel never told me that :(

6. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Even if I dont use mine for a while Ill spray them with some WD because they will rust hanging on the trailer. Some times I get caught in the rain!

7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

just got a brand new echo hc-150, blades are rusted through good- had it no more than 5 days - cut some hedges that where really wet, the next morning al rusty-

8. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

fluid film it. ive used that stuff for everything and im yet to be let down. my next task will be to cook with it. teflon pans are out. fluid film is in.

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

it sure dose smell intresting every once in awhile youll be working and get a wiff of it and your like what is that for a sec then your like o ya

10. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

same thing happened to me... i was leaving the plastic blade guard/sheath storage thing on and it kept moisture trapped on the metal. got rid of the guard, sparyed them with wd every so often and disappeared... the key was gettin rid of that plastic thing, tho