rusty gas tank

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by I MOW ALONE, Apr 23, 2006.

1. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

does anybody know what is the best way to clean rust out of the inside of a gas tank. any special chemical's. thank's in advance

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

size? application? amount of rust? removed from application or no?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a smaller fuel tank I drop a hand full of 1/4" nuts in it add some mineral spirits and shake it briskly on all sides and the nuts break the rust loose. Depending on how bad and the expense of a new tank I will coat it with this;
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...267/N-111+10201+600001267/c-10101/TID-2017906 I Kreamed a 3 wheeler fuel tank that had pin holes in the bottom and this stuff lasted for the 11 yrs. I owned it until I sold it.

4. I MOW ALONE

this is a motorcycle tank about 4 gallons in size. it only has minor surface rust. when you say nut's you mean metal nut's right. thank's

5. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

just stick your nuts in the tank and shake it real good. if their hard enough they will scrape off all the rust.

6. I MOW ALONE

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i have some nuts downstairs that would be able to take care of the job if yours arent good enough.

haha just kidding

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinkup:

9. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Restro has a good idea and I have done the same but now rely on an appropriate length of small chain and you won't have to pick up or LOSE your nuts.

Dutch

10. I MOW ALONE

maybe i will try the chain thing cause i need my nut's for more important thing's.:D