rusty gas tank

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by I MOW ALONE, Apr 23, 2006.

1. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

If the inside has only mild suface rust 1/ rust converter from the auto spray industry [there are different types].2/ Bead blast ///////////// If for any reason once cleaned , new fuel chages colour [brown] this indicates small particles . This will eventually case poor running & may be blockage. Happened on my old motor bike.//////////// 3/ place nuts carefully in tank and rattle:cry: 4/ REPLACE THE TANK Thanks Tomo

2. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I used POR-15 to coat the rust on the inside of my motorcycle's gas tank, they have a kit specifically for it.

3. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

what is por-15. and where do you buy it from. thank's

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. I MOW ALONE

thank's for the link. do you think i should buy the kit which include's a cleaner and the sealer. or do you think that all i need is the sealer. thank's

6. Restrorob

I really don't know, I have never used this product before. I stumbled across-ed it when searching for external metal rust inhibitors.

7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

what if you have got big nuts:weightlifter:

8. Restrorob

Find someone with smaller ones. :laugh:

9. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Hey, I Mow Alone, I'd get the kit with the cleaner. I've used this before and I'd recommend getting the kit so that the inside of the tank was cleaned. This will allow the sealer to stick like it's suppose to.

10. I MOW ALONE

ok cool ill get the kit. but do you think that a pint wiil do or do i need a quart.