Rusty Powder Fungus In Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChrisYanik, Jul 24, 2000.

1. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

In the past 2 weeks I've noticed a rusty colored powder that is covering several of my weekly accounts. The powdery stuff has just infested the lawns within the past two weeks.<p>I checked my applicator training book and it mentioned nothing about this sort of fungus.<p>My question is, what is this stuff that's all over these lawns, is it harmfull to the lawn, and if so, how do I treat for it.<p>Anyone else who has experienced this problem and knows how to deal with it would help very much.<p>I live in Ohio and it's been a fairly moist season up until the past two weeks.
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Finally a real question and no preaching b.s.! Chris...I had that problem a couple years ago and it went away on it's own. Check out this does a fairly good job explaining causes and remedies....<p><p>
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably the fungus Rust. Not especially harmful to turf unless it coats the leaf blade and interferes with photosynthesis.<p>Symtom of low nitrogen, don't treat with a fungicide, apply .5 - 1 lb. quick release N and water.
  5. richard2

richard2 Banned

i use no N i use a 0-5-8 and it's gone...harder leaf tissue and stronger cell membrane is northwest it comes in late summer to early fall...don't mulch and bleach mower deck between accounts so as not to spread....bleach on deck is key to any fungi control program...
  6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Just had a customer call with the same problem. Says he fertilized in June with a low N product like a 13-13-13 and now has this orange powder everywhere. Seems to be killing the new growth grass in some of the sparser areas. Lots of oaks and minimal sunlight. Looks like by the previous posts we have two different opinions of what to do. I'll wait and see what anyone else posts.
  7. TurfMan

TurfMan LawnSite Member

a little nitrogen has always worked for me on rust. <p>----------<br>thats my 2 cents, <br>mike
  8. richard2

richard2 Banned

anytime but the fall...
  9. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Thanks for all the help fellas.<p>Just in the last few days I've been noticing this fugni on many of my weekly mowing accounts, although the problem is isolated to only small portions of the lawn between 6 to 12 inch areas. <p>My guess is that the problem is due to the current dry conditions we've been having up North after all the moist we've been having in this area since March.<p>Also...I've noticed the problem seems to affect newly seeded lawns more-so than mature lawns. <p>This afternoon I recived a phone call from a man who's lawn I seeded back in the begining of May. He stated that his lawn was entirely covered with the disease. Several other accounts which I seeded lawn fall and began fertilizing this spring also showed some signs of the problem, but nowhere near as bad as the gentalmen stated above.<p>Thanks again for all the use-full posts.