Rut Problems

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by matt77, Oct 8, 2007.

1. matt77

matt77 LawnSite Member

Is there any type of equipment that will level or take small ravines out of yards with planted grass. I wanted to see if there was some type of drag that would drop sand in low areas and fill up small ravines.

2. matt77

matt77 LawnSite Member

Is there any type of equipment that you can use to drag over existing yards to fill in low spots and fill in ravines and yet not damage sprinkler heads

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, my trailer holds up to 2 cubic yards of dirt, then I use a shovel and a wheel-barrow, takes a good 1-2 hours, throw down some seed over top and rake it out. Might not level it out completely but I had a sink hole the size of a car from a tree where the roots eventually decomposed, and 2 cubic yards at least evened it out to where I can cut it reasonably.
    I charge $50 a cubic yard, $100 for 2 this is the least expensive, work-wise it's a bit rough but humping it nets me dang near 70 bucks for an hour's work plus the driving / pick-up fee... There's little overhead here, the barrow and the shovel cost maybe $100 new so it ain't like using a 4g lawn mower.

You'll want to be real careful, a single axle trailer isn't supposed to hold much more than 3 thousand pounds, one cubic yard weighs dang near 2... Not sure what to tell you here, I have radial B load rated tires run about $100 each, these are two load ratings over what normally comes with it and that will hold the weight but you have to watch the axle and afterwards it's slow poke driving the whole way. Still if you want to be safe you load 1 in the truck bed and 1 in the trailer, my trailer's frame is bent some from having done this only a few times.

That or get a truck to deliver the dirt, then spread it, wheel barrow and a shovel.
    This I would opt for if you need more than 2 cubic yards, thou I will advise you don't want to do more than 5-8 by yourself, 5 is a lot of work and 8 will likely take 2 days... You might can try a Toro dingo, but it's about as slow and it won't do no real grading because it's too light. They usually run $250 a day to rent, but this can do 8-10 cubic yards in one day because it don't kill you, there's not much profit here thou.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites is on the right track. Fill the deep ones by hand, then rent a top dresser and a dingo and have some dirt/compost brought in.

5. matt77

matt77 LawnSite Member

My yard is about an 2 acres. We had about 11 inches of rain right after i hydromuched my yard in bermuda and installed the sprinklers. I have lots of slopes so you couldn't imagine how many little ravines i have everywhere not to add to the problem but we hauled in about 246 dump trucks of dirt at the beginning to take care of some of the slope. This dirt now has settled over the last couple of years. I know i can use a shovel to fill in all of this but a guy has to get realistic. This may take years. I was wondering if there was some type of drag or something. I heard that golf courses use some type of drag that you fill in with sand and it comes out to fill in the low areas and the ravines but I can't find anything like it on the net. Any help out there.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

after the rough in work is finished, instead of expensive equipment, i have a section of old chainlink fence cut down that i pull around the yard, makes it almost perfectly level

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

What you are looking for is called a dragmat...look them up as Dave mentioned a piece of chainlink fence works great.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

don't want to damage existing turf? dump piles and screed it out with gradeing rakes. equipment loaded with the amount of loam needed will rut as it goes becouse of the weight