Rutgers Landscape Lighting Class

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Dreams To Designs, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a very good program and if you are within driving distance, one worth attending. The class is taught by the leader from Cast lighting so they use nothing but Cast equipment, but the class does explain all systems of lighting and especially hub systems.

This is an excerpt from Rutgers OCPE web site;

http://aesop.rutgers.edu/~ocpe/courses/current/al0501ca.html

"Taught by Dave Beausoleil of CAST Lighting, Inc., this one and half-day course will provide you with the vocabulary and mathematical calculations for installing electrical applications in the landscape, including amps, ohms and volts, as well as the creative design techniques for wires and wired systems. Even if you know everything or next to nothing about electricity, Dave will guide you through these lessons using his practical business experiences and hands-on lessons, where every participant will work with the “tools of the trade” to gain experience of his or her own."

Kirk

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Kirk, you could just get The Landscape Lighting Resource Manual and learn all of this strait from the horses mouth. No disrespect to Steve P. here, but I think what Dave B. teaches is just a Unique University Nate created with a fancy Rutgers name attached to it.

3. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Joey are you saying that Dave B. is a horse thief?
    He's gonna teach all that in a half day class huh?
    Whatever.

4. indylights

indylights LawnSite Member

Ease up Joey. Noone said anything about you or Unique. Give the guy a break, all he was doing was telling guys there was a class in New Jersey if they wanted to attend. Believe it or not, not everything in the world is centered around you, Nate, and Unique. I'm not knocking your product at all,
    just ease up dude. Cast isn't one of your enemies, all the other companies who have copied the molds for your fixtures and are trying to back door you are the ones you should be worrying about. And by the way, I have been to both a Unique and Cast class, and learned a lot at both. Different teachers have different methods of expressing the points they want to get across. There is nothing wrong with getting different resources for information.

5. pete scalia

I don't mean to speak for either Joey or Nate here and I don't know what the inner workings of the situation are. However this is what I've heard and you can correct me if I'm wrong

The owners of Cast were one time distributors and big time supporters of Unique lighting systems inc. They did seminars , promoted and sold their products. Were taught the hub system from the Illuminator Nate Mullen himself , voltage drop and design etc. All aspects of landscape lighting.
    Apparently Cast went ahead and replicated the teachings , put some slight spin on the system by calling the components by different names etc. Went out and took some traditional existing fixtures made by various manufacturers and had them made in cast bronze by a third party and started what is now known as cast Lighting.
    So if there seems to be a little animosity detected I can surely understand it. Again these are what my contacts from deep within the industry have told me and I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of their reports to me.
    If you have any supporting info please put it here for all to see.

6. JoeyD

Pete pretty much summed it up but understand one thing, CAST regardless of how they came about and the relationship that Dave had with Unique is a good company and I do not mean to take anything away from them especially Steve P. who is a class act. All I am saying is that I doubt Dave B. would be teaching at Rutgers if Nate Mullen hadn't educated him for years. The system they teach is virtually identical to ours and it is not by coincidence. Good side is it is a good system and I am sure they do some things differently. I know my place and belive me I know things do not center around myself or Unique but I do know the history here and Nate had alot to do with what CAST is teaching. But in reality I should not have responded to his thread, these are things I need to avoid.

Respectfully,
    Joey D.

7. indylights

Gentlemen,

Let me just say I intend no disrespect to anyone, but I just found Joey's tone in his initial response very condescending. As a lighting contractor who has been in the business for 7 years, I have used a wide range of product, but now use mainly Unique and Cast and like them both. I just get a little tired of constantly hearing how Nate was the original and therefore no one is allowed to have a different point of view on a similar subject, product, or idea. I hear it from the Unique reps, their distributors, on down the line. It just gets a little old. Should no one have improved on the Model T? Do you like the original desktop computer you bought 15 years ago? How about that 17 inch black and white TV with no remote? Nate should be applauded for all that he has brought to the industry, but there are other people just as qualified as him also involved now. And Pete, I know the history of Unique and Aquarius and I'm sure there is stuff there none of us know about (or need to know for that matter). Also,unless the Cast reps are lying to everybody, Dave B is actually part owner of the foundries where Cast fixtures are made, so I would not call that a "third party" manufacturer. Again, not intending to ruffle any feathers, just expressing a point of view.

8. JoeyD

Point well taken Indy. I do agree with your views on industry progression, CAST has been a great addition to the lighting industry and I think Unique should be flattered to have companies who wish to teach a system like ours. There is plenty the public does not know but it frankly isnt important. Whats important is progressing the industry and I am all for it!

9. pete scalia

Me I'm not so forgiving. If it were me whose act was ripped off I'd want to put them out of business plain and simple. But that's me and my highly competitive nature.

10. indylights

Pete,

Just one question for you. Judging by your last statement, do you feel every original invention of everything should never be duplicated, improved upon, modified, etc (and I'm not talking about just landscape lighting anymore)? Whatever happened to imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as Joey slyly complimented Unique on in his last comment? Should an original idea never be improved upon or duplicated in any way, ever? That is pretty short sighted. We have patent laws in the United States, and if those are not violated, anything is fair game. It's called capitalism, and if you are so competitive, you should understand that.