Ruts and bumps and hills - stander or ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwilder10h, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

I currently run a Toro gear w/b and am looking for something bigger for next season. I mow a 2+ acre lot that from all appearances seems fine until you start mowing it and is rutted up from people driving on it over the years and is just downright brutal on a w/b with sulkey. I'm wondering if it would be just as bad on a stander and I should look at the ztr.

Most of my other jobs are residential, so the stander appeals to me for the small footprint and the fact that several have hills in the backyards that might be hairy on a Z, but I have a great Toro dealer in my area so that is something else to consider.

If it matters, I'm looking for a 52" deck mower in either one.
  2. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

Well i have a 48" w/b and a 60" rider. I had a huge field that I use to cut that was exactly like what you are talking about. Last year when i didn't have my rider I hated to it every time, after I cut it i thought i was going to die. But this year when I cut it with the rider it was ALOT better. I also have the suspension seat that also help out with it. But I also dont think the 48" has the big rear tires so it minght not be the exact same. But that just my experience.
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that the stander would cause the same effect as your sulky does. If it was me I would go witht the ztr and if you can keep the other mower for your hills.
  4. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

Look into a Ferris with independent suspension, they are well worth it. I cut 10 acres that was once an orange grove. I can out run and out cut my neighbor who has a Dixie and my other neighbor who cuts with a John Deere bush hog.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If you saw some of my propeties. I spend half the time in the air on some. For the best ride on a stander. Put a set of tubes in the rear tires and set the pressure at 8PSI.

Also does this one lawn pay enough to justify cutting it. Because I would get rid of it if its that bad.

Nothing is going to come close to the productivity of the stander on the tight properties. It will out run a walk behind and almost keep up with a stander. You can go from a postage stamp lawn to 3 acres with out a problem. Plus the stander is the baddest mower on hills. I had several people who worked for other mower manufactures agree with me on that.
  6. bwilder10h

I'd love to drop this customer, because the job SUCKS! However, they are family friends and I can't find a way to say "see ya" without hurting feelings. My thoughts are to raise the prices substantially enough next season that they either find someone else to mow it, or pay me enough that I don't care.

I'm getting paid enough to justify cutting it now but still dread it every week. I suspected the stander to behave similar to the w/b on rough terrain but wanted to get some first hand experience from the folks here. I need a bigger mower anyway, just weighing my options and seeing what would be the best for me.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Great Dane stander. It's a little rough on the bumps even with the spring mounted platform. I think it's better that a sit down IMO. I never used a sulk, never liked them, how do you k-turn with a sulky? The standers aren't to bad on hills. I usually ride straight up and down where possible. Downhills the hard part. Think of riding a horse. uphill lean foward. downhill lean back or sqwat down on the platform. can't do that on a sit down. Most dealers will let you demo a mower for a day.
  9. bwilder10h

You're right they do. I'm charging them more than I would if this lot was smooth as a fairway so in my mind it's justifiable but it's not so much that I like doing it (if that makes sense).

I think I would be fine mowing it on a Z because it would be my rear taking the beating instead of my knees and I could get it done quicker, but either way... the price is going up substantially next season. If they walk, no hard feelings. :p
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

With problem with the ZTRs are when you sit down. Your back is bent, so all the pressure is being placed on one spot. Which equals lots of lower back pain. Were as the stander, your back is straight so the pressure is being placed along the entire back.