ruts from irrigation lines...how to correct

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mac43rn, Jul 14, 2006.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I have a client that has a very healthy lawn. I have been caring for this lawn for the last three years. Front and sides are very smooth no ruts. The back lawn has three 120 foot runs of irrigation lines that did not get back filled correctly. The home owner has asked me to correct these ruts. My question is how do I go about correcting this?

1. Do I rent a rear tine tiller and till up the ruts, rake up grass, fill ruts and overseed?

2. Sod cutter (but do not know how I would get the sod out as it is small rut in width, but fairly deep (2 - 3 inches)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with #1.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Sheesh...those darn irrgation guys :dizzy: were always correcting their mistakes!

Go with # 1. Fill in ruts w/topsoil, rake out, level with roller, apply topsoil where needed, rake again, then level again, apply more topsoil, then continue to level with roller, then when you think you have it leveled out, apply topsoil as needed, rake out soil, then roll, then level it again. Repeat.

Apply seed/peat as needed.

Water.

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to just topdress it first. If the grass on both sides of the trench is growing well, and you have healthy grass in the ditch, you may have a much lower impact (and less unsightly) repair if you topdress the trench area with compost heavy topsoil and maybe 25% sand. That would be my approach, particularly if those trenches are a couple of years old. If so, they have settled about as much as they're going to. If you till, you just start the whole process over again. The grass with push up through and spread sideways into the topdressing very quickly.

5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

How wide are the ruts?? I had to do this on a golf course after a crew failed to properly fill trench. It required a little hand work of using a spud fork to lift the depressed area after running an edger along one side of the trench. I lifted the depressed area and placed fill soil underneath before replacing and rolling the area. It was a good restore problem that eliminated 'feedback' from the golfers coming out the next day. The area affected was only 4"-6" wide about 3" deep but 300 yards long.

It would seem that if the owners want a clean looking area quickly this would be the best way. Topdressing would require longer time to recover as would the tilling and overseeding.

Whatever you decide, make it look good and make money by pleasing the customer.

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

topdress the ruts!!

dont till them, you'll make nice mess. use good quality topsoil, wheelbarrow and flat shovel! you'll have it knocked out in no time..

7. steelpit

steelpit LawnSite Member

i did the topdressing on mine the only thing was that with useing good top soil and the rest was good ohio clay i had very dark green lines where the top soil was but the yard doesnt have ruts

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like time to topdress the whole yard!