Ruts & Mud

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Volhunter, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Volhunter

Volhunter LawnSite Member
    from TN

I see so many talking about mowing in the rain or when the ground is wet. My question is, how is the ground not rutted when being cut wet? ...also, what about when you run across a bare spot, make a rut through the mud, then track it onto the turf? Yes, I'm new, but have never cut grass after any sustained rainfall (i.e. the ground is soaked, not just wet grass) I'm all ears!

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I've been cutting in the rain the past few weeks and some of my properties are satured from the recent flood from the Ms. river.
    i cut a few properties which still had standing water, it left some tracks, but they wanted their grass below 12" high.
    We have alot of clay in our soil which helps.
    I've been using Walkers with low profile tires and it tracks nice and wide.
    I cut different directions each week to keep ruts to a minimum.
    Any bare spots i run the deck over only and manuever around them.

3. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Unfortunatly somtime you have to cut when its wet. I never did until last year, we had 2-3 days of rain/week, we didn't have a choice. Never got one complaint about mud tracks, or rut. People understand.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Volhunter,
    I understand what your talking about. Our soil here is different. Ruts very easy and we have had a LOT of rain. We only cut about 1.5 days last week and today. From the looks outside now it will be a late sleeping day tomorrow. I can tell you, for our area you better be very hard pressed to cut. About 2 days after you cut the yard will look very bad from the tire tracks. We had this same type thing last year. Just wait it out, because you will be begging for it in about a month.

5. Volhunter

Volhunter LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thanks Hoss. I was wondering if I was missing something, because I never see anyone in our area cut in the rain unless they just got caught in it and are trying to finish. Thanks for the info. as always!

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

...the soil around here is saturated and VERY soft...today is the first day I cut since Thursday. Ran between showers on Wed. and Thur. last week. Only got half of the lawns mowed I usually do on those days. Had to really take it easy on my Lazer Z as it will divot and spin wheels in a heartbeat on soaked, soft ground...I gave up and waited it out too. I've only used my ZTR 120 hours (this is my first one) so maybe a little practice will allow me to cut in the rain....NOT! I still hate the way the fescue and Bermuda around here clumps up when only a little wet so I'll still not mow when its wet around here unless I just absolutley have to. Calling for isolated showers here for the next 2 days and I need to do 16 lawns during that time to get completely caught up. What can you do? One client today told me: "Maybe your not paying the preacher enough". hahaha. Thatss living in the Bible for ya.......

I would rather wait it out and cut twice than to leave ruts and divots. ;)

If this July is anything like last years we will be wanting all this glorious rain.. :)

Are walk-behinds as "squirrel-y" as ZTR's in wet conditions?

Peace, guys, and keep your powder DRY! :D

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

W/b are a little easier but as wet as the ground is here you will still get the bad ruts no matter what you use. There is just no way to keep from having those big tire ruts with this amount of moisture.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

...that was supposed to read:
    That's living in the Bible BELT for ya!

...I always seem to screw up the punchline.

So, who else around here cuts during a monsoon?

How many horsepower is recommended for pulling a skier?

Say, Hoss,

I've been considering getting a 36" Metro.....how do you like yours?

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Love it. The cut is awesome. I have the mulch kit on it. Cuts perfectly. If its real wet and tall I just make a second hit on it. But 99% of the time, run over thick grass at a regular pace and it looks like it was bagged. The only thing I don't like is the Kawi. I wish it had a kohler. Kawi parts are to hard to get, and the factory support sucks. I will say I haven't had any problems with the kawi lately, but the 12.5 hp is plenty for the Metro.