ruts!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heavenlydeere, Jun 16, 2005.

1. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

i just cut a new account for the first time today, i took over because the cust was very unhappy with a certain lco, i have gotten 5 accounts to date from this loser all for the same reasons,crappy work, i couldnt believe the ruts in this yard ,which is located in a very nice, to-do neighborhood ,i was mowing at 3.75 in and was nealy scalping the high spots in between the ruts, i dont think he ever switched patterns ,what an idiot! what are some of the worst ruts yall have run into? these were at least 3-4in deep!

2. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

Wow! Are the ruts from the other guys mower? If so the worst I'v seen was about 1"-3" deep,and I thought that was bad. That yard had a lot of mud,and the guy must have cut in the rain?

3. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

i dont know how long he has been doing this yard , my bet is a long time, the yard has really nice grass , i believe chemlawn services it, i talked about it with the cust and she said he would cut it in the rain and always mowed the same way , i just wanted her to know it wasnt me ! has any one use a roller on a rutted yard?

4. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have seen ruts that were about 3 inches or so deep too. In Florida we don't use rollers too often. I like to mow in the rain when the ground is soft. I use my 800 pound machine to roll the ground flat. Sometimes I get a little bit of a pattern around the perimeter of the property as I blow the grass into the center of the lawn before I make by back and forth pattern. I find the rainy season is a time to get rid of any of those marks in the lawn.